Examples of "brotherly nations"?

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Like Christian X of Denmark and Haakon VII of Norway. Literally brothers, ergo monarchs of brotherly nations. Their aunts, the sisters of their father Frederick VIII of Denmark are Alexandra, the Queen of the United Kingdom and Maria, the Empress of Russia. So, as in the case with brotherly Norwegians and Danes, Russians and the British are, er, sisterly nations?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Brotherly nation: Spain and kingdom of Naples.... i am reading a book about that... and yes, they were two brotherly nations in 18th Century (till 1860).
In 18th Century... Spain sent money each year to support Naepolitan economic system... and there were Spanish Ministers in Naples and Napolitan ministers in Spain. They had the same kings! as Charles III of Spain (that he was king of Naples).
The culture in Spain and Naples is relatively similar, no?

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
The culture in Spain and Naples is relatively similar, no?
They are?

The Spanish investment in Naples and Sicily began with the "Sicilian Vespers" already, booting the Angevin French conquerors of the region out, in 1282.

It took twenty years to sort out, and in the end the kings of Aragon won out, and set up a situation where they established a centuries long dynastic dominance in southern Italy. Unfortunately it had all the hallmarks of the disadvantages of absentee landlordism, and coincides with the continuous relative backwards slide of the region compared to northern Italy.

The kingdom of Sicily had been the most affluent, best run, centralized state in the Italian peninsula under the Hohenstaufen kings. The French Angevin dynasty ended that in blood at papal behest, becoming highly unpopular usurpers and occupiers with the Sicilians. The king of Aragon had family ties with the Hohenstaufens and could press a claim from that. But the way the region was subsequently managed meant relative decline, in particular to the take-off of the north Italian city states. And it persists to this day:

And since Spain wasn't marked by the effects of absentee landlordism, the rise of in time very traditional organized crime (Mafia, Camorra, Ndrangheta, etc.), it's a bit unclear what the cultural similarities are supposed to be? Devout Catholicism, relative rural backwardness, speaking a Romance language (except for the south Italian Greeks)?

May 2019
Earth
Gran Colombia and the Federal Republic of Central America might be two examples for you, but I don't know nearly enough about these people to say how "brotherly" they were with each other during their time in union. Both ended up splitting into separate countries, so maybe not so much...

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What about countries tracing their roots to ancient Rus aka Russia, Belarus and Ukraine.
I actually mentioned them in my OP here.

Gran Colombia and the Federal Republic of Central America might be two examples for you, but I don't know nearly enough about these people to say how "brotherly" they were with each other during their time in union. Both ended up splitting into separate countries, so maybe not so much...
Interesting.

Oct 2015
Norway
The Scandinavian countries, and to a large degree the other Nordic countries, have called each other brotherly countries for hundreds of years.

Oct 2015
Norway
Scandinavism was a political movement that started in the mid 18 hundreds. It focused on the shared history and culture and simmular languages of Sweden, Norway and Sweden. I can read and listen to all Scandinavian languagues and any Scandinavian should be able to do the same, bar some dialects.The words brothers and Brother Peoples ("broderfolkene") were often used. After WWII many Scandinavians, including the Norwegian prime minister, wanted a Nordic defence organisation instead of joining NATO. A more recent example is "Skavlan", one of the most popular TV talk shows in Scandinavia is shot sometimes in Stockholm and sometimes Oslo (and London and NY to attract international guests).Fredrik Skavlan speaks Norwegian with words that differ completely from Swedish spoken in Swedish with a Norwegian intonation. (Norwegians are generally more familiar with Swedish than the other way around, partly because of Swedish TV series about Pippi Longstockings etc. Given more exposure to Norwegian Swedes have no problems understanding Norweginan) Guests are from both countries as well as non-Scandinavians. The show is also shown on Danish TV, I believe.

Wikipedia article in English on Scandinaviaism: Scandinavism - Wikipedia

In modern times we have seen a lot of co-operation with Iceland and Finland too, even though the languages aren't really understandable to Scandinavians and the modern histories are more different. On the highest political level this is done through the Nordic Counsil.