Examples of "brotherly nations"?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
No Iceland and no Finland? :(

Scandinavism was a political movement that started in the mid 18 hundreds. It focused on the shared history and culture and simmular languages of Sweden, Norway and Sweden. I can read and listen to all Scandinavian languagues and any Scandinavian should be able to do the same, bar some dialects.The words brothers and Brother Peoples ("broderfolkene") were often used. After WWII many Scandinavians, including the Norwegian prime minister, wanted a Nordic defence organisation instead of joining NATO. A more recent example is "Skavlan", one of the most popular TV talk shows in Scandinavia is shot sometimes in Stockholm and sometimes Oslo (and London and NY to attract international guests).Fredrik Skavlan speaks Norwegian with words that differ completely from Swedish spoken in Swedish with a Norwegian intonation. (Norwegians are generally more familiar with Swedish than the other way around, partly because of Swedish TV series about Pippi Longstockings etc. Given more exposure to Norwegian Swedes have no problems understanding Norweginan) Guests are from both countries as well as non-Scandinavians. The show is also shown on Danish TV, I believe.

Wikipedia article in English on Scandinaviaism: Scandinavism - Wikipedia

In modern times we have seen a lot of co-operation with Iceland and Finland too, even though the languages aren't really understandable to Scandinavians and the modern histories are more different. On the highest political level this is done through the Nordic Counsil.
A Scandinavian/Nordic defense organization would have been much less strong than NATO is. With NATO, Denmark and Norway got protection from the US--a country with over 150 million people!

As a side note, I wonder how our Scandinavian and Scandinavian-descent members such as @NordicDemosthenes and @duncanness feel about the idea of the Scandinavian nations being brotherly.

Feb 2019
Serbia
Scandinavian.
Scandinavia is a geographic expression for the peninsula in Northern Europe that encompasses Sweden, Norway, Northern Finland and sometimes Denmark. I was thought that Iceland isn't Scandinavian and that only the northern part of Finland is. If the language is the criteria then I agree.

Reactions: Futurist