Examples of clothing and styles in ancient India

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
It's not common at all. Even foot soldiers all the way in Gandhara mostly went bear foot.
I will differ with that, even if they were grass boots. I was told in Himalayas that the herders used to make grass foot-wear to walk on snow. Some protection is need. Even Otzi wore shoes 5000 years ago..

Feb 2013
I will differ with that, even if they were grass boots. I was told in Himalayas that the herders used to make grass foot-wear to walk on snow. Some protection is need. Even Otzi wore shoes 5000 years ago..

It's just not common in India for some time. Relief images, art work from the period shows as such. It's not like they cant produce it, didnt care for it.

1555271215682.png

Rukh (Chariot) in ivory from Afrasiab, about 7th/8th century, Uzbekistan State Museum, Samarkand
(from "Roi des jeux, jeu des rois, les échecs", Jean-Michel Péchiné, Gallimard)

the lotus designs on pillows on howdah also appear same as in indian shields as well.

1555271369925.png

6th-8th century? North Afghanistan

Feb 2013
and greeks fought butt naked if the reliefs are to be taken in literal terms?

Immortals (Achaemenid Empire) - Wikipedia

View attachment 17796

You can absolutely take a lot of relief and painting literal. If you think each and every bear foot person shown from Gandhara to Satavahana aeras were some grand Indian artistic doctrine, metaphor, that's also laughable.

1555272188093.png
1555272224298.png
1555272281454.png

These are all literal, realistic, uniforms/attire/whatever. Most were bear foot.

1555272335648.png

Not to say there weren't footwear, it shows up to, just like in India proper, it just wasnt as common. This isnt an artistic indulgence.

Last edited:
Dec 2017
-------
I can understand that people living near equator where there are two seasons and temperature is above +30C+35C throughout a year wore little clothing in ancient times. Fabrics was expensive. Don't those regions of the world have mosquitos? In many regions mosquitos would you alive if you go half naked.

Feb 2013
so according to your principle greeks soldiers were butt naked? since they are depicted as one?

Certain things you use common sense that it's artistic indulgence, attributing the same thing for every single relief, painting works from Gandhara to Sri Lanka as the same is a joke. Using your own modern preferences on it. You might as well say the turban is also not a turban, but it was actually lose hair.