Examples of clothing and styles in ancient India

Mar 2019
KL
Indus seal showing a man killing a bull/buffalo by spearing it is strikingly similar to image depicting Krishna killing horse demon probably a precursor of krishna killing horse demon

indus seal of a man killing bull by spearing him

1561030682331.png

krishna killing horse demon, gandhara plaque

1561030798264.png

gupta plaque

1561030834684.png

the spear is not shown in the later ones but spearing position of the hand is shown

Last edited:
Mar 2019
KL
an terracotta plaque dated between 1600 BC and 300 BC

presumeably between 1500 BC and 1000 BC

1572768695614.png

The ''greek type head band'' can be noticed, so even if considered 300 BC, the head bands as being indication of greek soldiers is now virtually debunked

here is a gupta soldier with the same style

1572768780861.png

Reactions: Aberc

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Ashoka, I appreciate the various images you include in your posts but those do not tell us about the Aryan clothing before they came to India. Of course, I do not think you agree to Aryans coming from anywhere outside India. :)

Reactions: Ashoka maurya

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
tree fence configuration in IVC same as buddhist/mahabodhi, jain traditions.

View attachment 24400
Pipal or Banyan tree is considered holy in Hinduism, there is even tradition of wrapping thread around Banyan tree for making wishes. The Buddhist and Jain link don't seems possible, First Jain Thirthankara Bharata was from Ikshvaku dynasty of Ayodhya and similar Buddha was from 6th century period, when Bimbisara and Ajatashatru were ruling Magadha.

Mar 2019
KL
Pipal or Banyan tree is considered holy in Hinduism, there is even tradition of wrapping thread around Banyan tree for making wishes. The Buddhist and Jain link don't seems possible, First Jain Thirthankara Bharata was from Ikshvaku dynasty of Ayodhya and similar Buddha was from 6th century period, when Bimbisara and Ajatashatru were ruling Magadha.
buddhist and jain artistic traditions have depicted it in the same manner, which was what i meant.

regards

Sep 2015
Sri Lanka
Devdas ! Pipal Tree and Banyan tree are slightly different although both belong to the same genus [ Ficus] --Pipal tree [Ficus Religiosa] is known as "Bodhi Tree" under which Buddha got enlightened . It is the very sacred to the Buddhists and the Jains---More so for the Buddhists !
Banyan tree[Ficus Benghalensis-- the "Indian Banyan" ] is sacred to Hindus and I guess also the Bodhi tree because Buddha was a " Hindu Avatar "of Lord Vishu ;)

Trisuls under the Banyan Tree with threads wrapped on it branches !
1572795859662.png

NB-As far as i know there is no Banyan or Bodhi Tree in any Indus Seal ---However "Tree worshiping" is is well depicted in the seals--But i don't know the name of the tree --Some say "Branches" of ? Saja Tree which is worshipped by Gond tribes but i doubt it very much !

Last edited: