Examples of clothing and styles in ancient India

Jul 2014
world
Very interesting pieces ... if they are on sale you could find a market in Western Europe ...

My personal evaluation of "from Shunga era Bengal circa 1st century BCE. A masterpiece of ancient Indian terracotta art. " is that it's a masterpiece.
Almost impossible to sell now. The buyers for the Indian antiques have been scared off by recent taking back of stolen Indian antiques by the Indian givernment.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
MUCH ADO ABOUT PIPAL TREE!
I wish you had written as a separate post of your own to parade your knowlege in the Ancient Hindu Scriptures and Rig veda But not as a moronic and most idiotic reply for what i have written !
No--- I have not come across the word "Pippala" or whatever , as i dont read Hindu Scriptures ! Did i say that the Pipal tree never existed nor referred anywhere before Buddhism ? I couldn't care less whether it is mentioned in Rig Veda which pre- dates by Million or Trillion years-- You Twit!
When you write meaningless posts, be ready to get replies that comment about the absurdity. Here's what you wrote:

/*******************************************/
Devdas ! Pipal Tree and Banyan tree are slightly different although both belong to the same genus [ Ficus] --Pipal tree [Ficus Religiosa] is known as "Bodhi Tree" under which Buddha got enlightened . It is the very sacred to the Buddhists and the Jains---More so for the Buddhists !
Banyan tree[Ficus Benghalensis-- the "Indian Banyan" ] is sacred to Hindus and I guess also the Bodhi tree because Buddha was a " Hindu Avatar "of Lord Vishu ;)
/******************************/

The reason for my post was your final comment that Bodhi tree is sacred to Hindus because of Buddha being Hindu Avatar of Lord Vishnu. Pipal or Bodhi or Ashwattha has been sacred since yore in India, and not because of Buddha's advent or because he was treated as Avatar of Lord Vishnu. And that is why I mentioned Rig Veda.

Leave the Hindu scriptures aside, at the least you would have seen the IVC pipal motifs, no?

Reactions: hansolo

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Yah, we have discussed that. Ficus trees exist outside India also and they are shady. I think there is a mention of a village council discussing things under an 'Ashwattha' tree, and of course, there are two birds sitting on a branch of 'Nyagrodha' tree. Shade of a tree was important even in Central Asia, sometimes it got too hot. India did/does not have a monopoly on Ficus trees.

Jun 2017
usa
Yah, we have discussed that. Ficus trees exist outside India also and they are shady. I think there is a mention of a village council discussing things under an 'Ashwattha' tree, and of course, there are two birds sitting on a branch of 'Nyagrodha' tree. Shade of a tree was important even in Central Asia, sometimes it got too hot. India did/does not have a monopoly on Ficus trees.
Were ficus trees in the Arctic as well?

Sep 2015
Sri Lanka
The reason for my post was your final comment that Bodhi tree is sacred to Hindus because of Buddha being Hindu Avatar of Lord Vishnu. Pipal or Bodhi or Ashwattha has been sacred since yore in India, and not because of Buddha's advent or because he was treated as Avatar of Lord Vishnu. And that is why I mentioned Rig Veda................[/QUOTE]

PIPAL TREE AND RIG VEDA !
Could you please provide me the "Exact Shloka" with the Hymn number in the Rig Veda without any Metaphorical or your own Interpretaion / Explaination where the word "Pippala" or "Pipal" tree is mentioned ? Then i will trust your above explaination and your Integrity !

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Were ficus trees in the Arctic as well?
Ficus (Wiki): "with a few species extending into the semi-warm temperate zone".
Temprate zone (Wiki): "In most climate classifications, temperate climates refer to the climate zone between 35 and 50 north and south latitudes (between the subarctic and subtropical climates)."

Temperate zone extends well into Canada, Norway, Sweden, Finland, etc. As wiki says a few species may survive there but as the latitude increases, the growth will not be good.
Another factor will be the climate of sub-Arctic regions in various ages.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
The Ashwattha/pippala tree is native to India and has leaves shaped distinctly different from the fig trees found elsewhere. We are talking about that tree that finds mention in Rig Veda and other scriptures, not the ones found in other geographies.

As to the common fig, it is a tree that was native to middle-east and mediterranean. It required a bit of sunny weather. I don't know if Central Asia fits the bill.

So if you are trying to convince me that the fig tree in Rig Veda was from Central Asia, you aren't going to be successful.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
The reason for my post was your final comment that Bodhi tree is sacred to Hindus because of Buddha being Hindu Avatar of Lord Vishnu. Pipal or Bodhi or Ashwattha has been sacred since yore in India, and not because of Buddha's advent or because he was treated as Avatar of Lord Vishnu. And that is why I mentioned Rig Veda................
PIPAL TREE AND RIG VEDA !
Could you please provide me the "Exact Shloka" with the Hymn number in the Rig Veda without any Metaphorical or your own Interpretaion / Explaination where the word "Pippala" or "Pipal" tree is mentioned ? Then i will trust your above explaination and your Integrity !
[/QUOTE]

RV 1.164.20, Rshi DIrghatamA Auchatya

dvā́ suparṇā́ sayújā sákhāyā samānáṃ vṛkṣám pári ṣasvajāte
táyor anyáḥ píppalaṃ svādv átty ánašnann anyó abhí cākašīti

It does not matter whether you trust me or not. My integrity is for myself, not to demonstrate to you. Whether you like it or not, this is a metaphorical hymn and Adi Shankara's commentary on this is the "gold standard".

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Ficus (Wiki): "with a few species extending into the semi-warm temperate zone".
Temprate zone (Wiki): "In most climate classifications, temperate climates refer to the climate zone between 35 and 50 north and south latitudes (between the subarctic and subtropical climates)."

Temperate zone extends well into Canada, Norway, Sweden, Finland, etc. As wiki says a few species may survive there but as the latitude increases, the growth will not be good.
Another factor will be the climate of sub-Arctic regions in various ages.
Yes, they have started growing figs in Antarctica. But pippala of Rig Veda is from India, your painful efforts to disprove it notwithstanding.

Mar 2019
KL
bhai this is a thread for indian clothing and styles, why dont you guys take rigveda and this typical discussion to another thread?