Examples of clothing and styles in ancient India

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
The Ashwattha/pippala tree is native to India and has leaves shaped distinctly different from the fig trees found elsewhere.
Wikipedia: ".. they are native throughout the tropics .."
How do you know that the 'Ashwattha' that RigVeda is talking about is the 'Peepal' tree?

Don't remember who started this 'tree' business. :D

Mar 2019
KL
local govenrment system/ city administration under the mauryas and the guptas

during mauryan period, kautiya also mentions nagaraka as the ''mayor'' or prefect of the city

1573155100857.png

local government administration under the mauryas

1573152336067.png

1573152308896.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hansolo
Mar 2019
KL
The solid waste management seen in lothal is also replicated during the historic periods, i forgot the link where i read it.

regards

Mar 2019
KL
Indus Valley civilization was peaceful is a cliche which will be hard to remove, some western scholars banking on colonial era conclusions completely reject the violence could have taken place in the IVC.

But there are some facts which have been ignored and have been taken up recently such as, the city of Harappa shows injury rate of 15.5 percent which is very high.

2:48

The same issue is now taken by Indian scholars such as Shereen Ratnagar as well

Shereen Ratnagar
This cliché will survive for long, I’m afraid. As it did with the Minoans. I gave a public lecture on this in Delhi in February 2009. Except for JP Joshi’s report on Surkotada, and his careful count of the sling balls, no recent excavator thinks along the lines of warfare.

The layers of ash and debris over some Early Indus settlement remains are conveniently ignored!

Do remember that in ancient and medieval history too, Indian rulers are rarely, themselves, shown at war—the deities may be depicted vanquishing mythological enemies, that is different.

Mar 2019
KL
what are the chances chhath puja was performed in mohenjo daro bath along side holy bath as well Room enclosures where the offerings were kept or people gathered.

1573203935929.png

here in this video, the rituals are being performed in a small tank.

Last edited: