Examples where cannibalism was accepted

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
Excluding cases when people were starving and ate others just to avoid death, when/where was cannibalism accepted?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Several primitive/isolated tribal communities practice cannibalism. I believe many were located in Africa, islands in the Indian Ocean and parts of SE Asia and Oceana.

Apr 2016
Netherlands
Personally I find the severity of the taboo on cannibalism pretty overblown anyway.

Once a human is dead it's not really inherently different from any other animal.

Aug 2016
US&A
In most cases it's where a tribe is not currently starving, but has been forced into very marginal lands where cannibalism is sometimes required to survive.

It also seems more common in societies that believe you gain the traits of the animals you eat.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Personally I find the severity of the taboo on cannibalism pretty overblown anyway.

Once a human is dead it's not really inherently different from any other animal.
I suppose the taboo becomes once you accept it’s ok to eat them. Then it becomes ok to kill them to eat them.

cachibatches

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
The Aztecs used to engage in cannibalism.

In Ibn Battuta, there is a passage in which the king of Mali gives a slave girl to cannibals to kill and butcher.

In New Guinea and Australia.

Amongst sailors in Europe. They used to call it "long pork."

May 2016
Vatican occupied America
It was normal in all the Central American Civilizations: Aztecs; Olmecs, Mayans; Toltecs all practiced it. They hunted humans in war to take them back and then sacrifice them and then eat the corpses. It was normal in China, they were even selling it openly in markets -one needs to watch what one is eating when eating Chinese or you'll eat: cat; dog; horse or man. There was a French gourmet chef in the 19th century who was celebrated for his great pork dish who was a serial killer who sold his prey.

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada

I found people refusing to eat human flesh if their life literally depended on it baffling. Is this act in certain extreme situations really that repulsive?

cachibatches

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
I found people refusing to eat human flesh if their life literally depended on it baffling. Is this act in certain extreme situations really that repulsive?
Yes. It is evolutionarily built into the species to avoid cannibalism because there are diseasese you can get such as kuru. Similarly, mad cow is developed by feeding cows to other cows.

I also heard somewhere that it leads to digestive problems.