Exit Polls Put Macron and Le Pen in the Lead in French Election

Status
Closed

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
Melenschon says it's not over yet. It seems reasonable, we only have projections. I wonder why did Fillon and the PM hurried to throw their support behind Macron when don't even know the preliminary results yet.

They seem to have gone full panic mode.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
We'll see. For now, she seems to be winning the first round. But, I understand you see this as a sort of a referendum for or against Le Pen?
On the contrary, Valens.

The first round in these kind of elections remains the best "snapshot" of a society's orientation.

There are more candidates, there aren't any kind of proportional redistributions (as in parliamentary elections), it's voting the person, so one can clearly see what the orientation, the choice is.

The "referendum" pro or con, strategic vote and all the rest comes only in the second round. This one shows the most accurately the intentions.

Le Pen has only 1/5 of French voting thinking he would make a good president. As Macron.

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
On the contrary, Valens.

The first round in these kind of elections remains the best "snapshot" of a society's orientation.

There are more candidates, there aren't any kind of proportional redistributions (as in parliamentary elections), it's voting the person, so one can clearly see what the orientation, the choice is.

The "referendum" pro or con, strategic vote and all the rest comes only in the second round. This one shows the most accurately the intentions.

Le Pen has only 1/5 of French voting thinking he would make a good president. As Macron.
OK. We agree there. But the reality is, the winner will be decided in the run-off. Whoever gets elected won't have an easy task.

PS It's astounding that German officials backed Macron. It's undiplomatic for foreign countries to support one candidate, and even before the first official results. :eek:

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
OK. We agree there. But the reality is, the winner will be decided in the run-off. Whoever gets elected won't have an easy task. …
No leader would have an easy task. We're living troubled times, and things are changing very fast all over the world.

PS It's astounding that German officials backed Macron. It's undiplomatic for foreign countries to support one candidate, and even before the first official results. :eek:
And not only Germany …

I find it also "a bit" undiplomatic and very unproductive in some cases.

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
I agree that it may be counterproductive but I think the German reaction speaks of genuine worry. In their view a Le Pen victory will damage Germany and Europe as a hole after all. Even if the damage will just be contained to France it will be bad for upsetting the power balance in Europe.

I don't think its malice but genuine worry because there really are things to be worried about for everyone involved.

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
The EU/Germany attitude is what makes Le Pen possible. A firm ideological approach that treats countries and their peoples like objects that have to make a 'right choice', that is, the choice that the EU and the elites behind it want.

There's always an underlying message, 'vote as we expect you to or terrible things will happen'.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
What we are witnessing in France is a real life performance of the movie "being there' with a few plot twists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There

It demonstrates that even a goat can get elected to the office of the presidency with the right backing...... and thus it demonstrates that individuals are really not important

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
I agree that it may be counterproductive but I think the German reaction speaks of genuine worry. In their view a Le Pen victory will damage Germany and Europe as a hole after all. Even if the damage will just be contained to France it will be bad for upsetting the power balance in Europe.

I don't think its malice but genuine worry because there really are things to be worried about for everyone involved.
I agree with You on this.

I was talking more in general: diplomatically, it can become very embarrassing, as one might have to deal for years with a country's representative, representative that rejected as candidate …

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
What we are witnessing in France is a real life performance of the movie "being there' with a few plot twists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There

It demonstrates that even a goat can get elected to the office of the presidency with the right backing...... and thus it demonstrates that individuals are really not important
True. France will likely get another weak President, and five more years of torment. What's worrying is that history demonstrates that protracted periods of crisis eventually lead to real extremist options taking over.

Le Pen might turn out to be the real lesser evil.

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
The EU/Germany attitude is what makes Le Pen possible. A firm ideological approach that treats countries and their peoples like objects that have to make a 'right choice', that is, the choice that the EU and the elites behind it want.

There's always an underlying message, 'vote as we expect you to or terrible things will happen'.
That's what happens when there's a lot at stake. If the wrong direction is taken then terrible things will happen. Nothing wrong with pointing that out, playing it down would just be the very ''looking away'' populists accuse their opponents of doing.

Status
Closed