Expansion of indoeuropeans

Jun 2019
ru
It's considered that indoeuropeans have come to Europe and other regions by war and by crowding out peoples.

But indoeuropeans usually occupied pastures and there is no reason to believe that zone of steppe has been occupied before them came because zone like this is usual only for nomadic type.
Probably indoeuropeans just occupied desert areas, with no any peoples, and have done it withno war

the only conflict that could be there was a conflict with farmers, but, for example, in Europe, agriculture appeared quite late, and nomads could be the first to occupy the fields

Last edited:
Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
It's considered that indoeuropeans have come to Europe and other regions by war and by crowding out peoples.

But indoeuropeans usually occupied pastures and there is no reason to to believe that zone of steppe has been occupied before them came because zone like this is usual only for nomadic type.
Probably indoeuropeans just occupied desert areas, with no any peoples, and have done it withno war
The indo-european origins are associated with the Yamnaya culture. Archeological and other evidence points to a probable mixture of steppe hunter-gatherers with Caucasus populations of hunter gatherers. Then they developed two major innovations: bronze and horse domestication which made them more efficient than other populations.

There is a book about that from David Anthony with detailed explanations:

Here the professor himself talking about it:

Reactions: Tulius
Jun 2019
ru
The indo-european origins are associated with the Yamnaya culture. Archeological and other evidence points to a probable mixture of steppe hunter-gatherers with Caucasus populations of hunter gatherers. Then they developed two major innovations: bronze and horse domestication which made them more efficient than other populations.
is this somehow contradicts the version that they could occupy the desert zones of the stappe in the riverbeds not occupied by farmers at that time?

Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
BTW, what do yo mean by this term? What peoples?

Before they domesticated horses and started herding in a major way, they were hunter-gatherers, there is no evidence of farming in the steppes at that time. Unfortunately the "evidence" about these population admixtures - caucasus (Кавказ) and steppe hunter gatherers is not admitted by forum rules, I have to relegate you to the wiki page:

Jun 2019
ru
The indo-european origins are associated with the Yamnaya culture
BTW in 19 century was popular version that indoeuropeans formed somewhere at territory of bactrian-margian culture, and this version more adecvate, because there is ancient archaeological sites with very progressive properties. I think yamnaya and andronovo are secondary.
Moreover, it is geographically closer to Vedic cultures

Jun 2019
ru
Unfortunately the "evidence" about these population admixtures - caucasus (Кавказ) and steppe hunter gatherers is not admitted by forum rules, I have to relegate you to the wiki page:
This is very confusing term, because "caucasians" associated with not-indoeuropean peoples like balkanian, "europids", "white race"or so on
Before they domesticated horses and started herding in a major way, they were hunter-gatherers, there is no evidence of farming in the steppes at that time. Unfortunately
Do you think they hunted mouse?
Is steppe usual for hunters?

Last edited:

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
So you can say “probably” you must prove that it was probable. And, as far as I know, we don’t have enough data to assume that “probably”. Even if thesis can be constructed.

But sometimes in history we have to say “we don’t know”.

By the way, as TupSum alluded, genetics are not allowed in the forum.

Reactions: World Focker
Jun 2019
ru
So you can say “probably” you must prove that it was probable. And, as far as I know, we don’t have enough data to assume that “probably”. Even if thesis can be constructed
where is the proof of wars in early history of expansions?
If there is not, then it was a peaceful settlement

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
where is the proof of wars in early history of expansions?
If there is not, then it was a peaceful settlement
I don't quite follow that logic to be honest.

It's fairly clear to me that TupSum is right on top of this subject, so it might be worth taking in what he says. Your OP sort of reads - "everybody thinks that they did.............................but in fact I say they didn't"

I think it's sort of up to you to put the case as to why you don't agree with the established view