Extension History: Major Work - Ideas

Sep 2007
I'm really stuck on my Major Work topic - something on Christianity, French History or the Holocaust is what I hope to study, though. But I seem to be wandering aimlessly about how to attack these topics. Extension History is all about 'historiography', so not as much on the history of these events, but the construction of that history - differing interpretations of historians, etc.

Does anybody have any interesting topics/views on these areas? I'm asking here because you all seem to be esoteric in nearly every field of History; it's overwhelming how much so, really, haha.

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
I'm really stuck on my Major Work topic - something on Christianity, French History or the Holocaust is what I hope to study, though. But I seem to be wandering aimlessly about how to attack these topics. Extension History is all about 'historiography', so not as much on the history of these events, but the construction of that history - differing interpretations of historians, etc.

Does anybody have any interesting topics/views on these areas? I'm asking here because you all seem to be esoteric in nearly every field of History; it's overwhelming how much so, really, haha.
I thought taking Historiography was a lot of fun...but it was not as interesting as taking a class on a specific historical topic or time period.

One of the most important aspects in the study of history is the importance of oral history...you might want to take a look in that direction.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Telekinetik, you mentioned French History. I guess you could find differing interpretations regarding the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, the Jomini-Berthier feud, the Dreyfuss Affair, the role of DeGaulle, the formation of the Common Market. You know, most anything.

Oct 2007
Here's a different angle for you to attempt Telekinetic: The "holocaust" from the viewpoint of the non-believers/ heretics, pejoratively labelled as "deniers".