Extent of the Karkota "Empire"?

Jan 2019
Valencia
I cam across this map of a Kashmir based Empire:

Karkota_Empire,_India_(derived).jpg
It seems somewhat exaggerated imo and I can find little actual reading on the empire/kingdom that confirms its true extent. Can anyone else who is more knowledgeable confirm if this map is correct?

civfanatic

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
It seems somewhat exaggerated imo and I can find little actual reading on the empire/kingdom that confirms its true extent. Can anyone else who is more knowledgeable confirm if this map is correct?
The map is baseless. All claims of a so-called "Kashmiri empire" hinge upon a single source, which is Kalyana's Rajatarangini. However, there is a complete absence of supporting evidence in the epigraphic record. We have inscriptions and contemporary accounts which attest to the rule of Yashovarman (the king of Kanauj who was the great rival of the Karkota king Lalitaditya) in places as far apart as Nalanda in Bihar and Jalandhar in Panjab, but no attestations of the rule of Lalitaditya or any other Karkota king in this vast area.

I actually wrote a pretty comprehensive post on this topic three years ago, which you can read if you are interested in a more in-depth look:
Lalitaditya Muktapida of Kashmir and Yashovarman of Kannauj: Between Myth and Reality