Extraordinary physicality of certain ethnicities according to early foreign sources?

Aug 2013
Pomerium
Were ancient authors quite frank about their impressions of certain foreign ethnicities' enviable physique, athleticism, membrum virile, etc.?

What are the most noteworthy accounts?

Last edited:

Naima

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Venice
Were ancient authors quite frank about their impressions of certain foreign ethnicities' enviable physique, athleticism, membrum virile, etc.?

What are the most noteworthy accounts?
I think the Cook impression ofthe original Hawaian people ...

Oct 2016
Merryland
early settlers in North America viewed Native Americans as tremendous swimmers.

this led to a tragic incident in which two losers dumped a Native American baby in the river to see if it could swim yet.

https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-history/curse-saco-river/

***According to the legend, the wife and infant son of Squando, chief of the Saco tribe, were traveling by canoe near the mouth of the river when they encountered three rowdy, drunken English sailors. The sailors allegedly made a few bets, then snatched the baby from his mother and threw him into the river to see if American-Indian babies were natural swimmers as some claimed they were.***

another reason not to watch that alcohol folks...

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Ibn Fadlan:
"I have seen the Rus as they came on their merchant journeys and encamped by the Volga. I have never seen more perfect physical specimens, tall as date palms, blonde and ruddy; they wear neither tunics nor caftans, but the men wear a garment which covers one side of the body and leaves a hand free."

Aside from fine physical attributes, he finds their lifestyle pretty disgusting.

Last edited: