Fact Checking Columbus

Oct 2014
California, USA
I've been wanting to write this post for four years now. Every Columbus day I encounter so many "Myths About Columbus"/"The Real Story of Columbus" etc that while they may have valid points are full of errors. I hope I've avoided the same in this blog post (which I had hoped to get done earlier...but just finished today). If I do have anything wrong (or if you see typos or whatever) I'd really appreciate hearing about it, as well as your feedback in general.

Imaginative Homeschool: Fact Checking Columbus

Nov 2010
Cornwall
I don't want to be controversial, but that seems to be an essay on how Columbus might have been controversial in today's eyes. Columbus should, like everyone else in history, be judged in the eyes of his time period. He was a rather innovative sailor/explorer and an incompetent administrator. Whether we today don't like Tudor-era morals - or lack thereof - is not relevant.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
It is impossible to say better than John... so I am only to answer some questions:

Did Columbus Commit Atrocities Against Native Americans?

According to 2018 standars... yes... according to 15th Century Standar in Pagan territory... No.

Did Columbus Encourage Sex Trafficking?

Sex was not so taboo in old days... and Sex trafficiking didn´t exist before 20th Century because it is a prolongation of the Totalitarian Feminist movement. Not trafficking at all in 15th Century... If he sold or not... it is indiferent... He did what everybody...Was Alexander, Hannibal or Caesar pederast? Maybe Hadrian and his beautiful Antinoo? Trajan? Spartan?

Almogavares sold boys for the burdels in Egypt and Palestine.... and they didn´t have matched with Sex trafficking because in 1311.... that word or concept not even existed!!!

How Do We Teach This History?

As the Economic and Political Power at the moment want to be taught...So it is very different the same fact as it is taught in 2018, 1988, 1978, 1968, 1938, 1908 or 1848....

That is the reason because I hate intepretations, or "lessons" from History... I am only interested in facts without any kind of interpretation.. any kind of manipulation...You know... June 6th, 1944: US, British and Canadian troops land in Normandy. Fact...without intepretation.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I'd really appreciate hearing about it, as well as your feedback in general.

Imaginative Homeschool: Fact Checking Columbus
The blog post lacks balance. Columbus was a revered historical figure for hundreds of years and his star has fallen precipitously over the last few decades. You have exonerated Columbus of some of the common negative claims but fail to identify any of his accomplishments or address the strengths and weaknesses of his character that led to his achievements and failures.

Columbus managed to convince the monarchs of a war ravaged kingdom to finance a three ship expedition for an objective that had never been accomplished and successfully completed a round trip voyage. All judgments of Columbus and subsequent events should start with that acknowledgement.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
The blog post lacks balance. Columbus was a revered historical figure for hundreds of years and his star has fallen precipitously over the last few decades. You have exonerated Columbus of some of the common negative claims but fail to identify any of his accomplishments or address the strengths and weaknesses of his character that led to his achievements and failures.

Columbus managed to convince the monarchs of a war ravaged kingdom to finance a three ship expedition for an objective that had never been accomplished and successfully completed a round trip voyage. All judgments of Columbus and subsequent events should start with that acknowledgement.
I agree with u. Who attack Colombus (from the Hippies days)... mostly they are communist or manipulated by the communist.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I agree that Columbus should be judged by the standards of his own time. By those standards Columbus was an idiot! Go east by sailing west?? Really?? Not to mention that anyone can see the world is flat. If it were round all the water in the oceans would run off. It's not just a simple argument that it LOOKS flat. Given the evidence, it's amazing that Queen Isabella financed him when his native Genova (Genoa) gave him the finger.

BTW the Llanos Estacado in western Texas is so flat, one could almost believe the world is flat ( and some do).

Last edited:
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
[QUOTE="martin76, post: 3051107, member: 32417. . .

. . .

That is the reason because I hate intepretations, or "lessons" from History... I am only interested in facts without any kind of interpretation.. any kind of manipulation...You know... June 6th, 1944: US, British and Canadian troops land in Normandy. Fact...without intepretation.[/QUOTE]

But without the interpretation, history is no fun at all. I have a few books with titles like "Seventeenth Century Europe". They are dry as dust-- recitals of facts. Good to have around as a quick resource, but not enjoyable reading for a quiet November evening. So give me something that takes an interpretive thesis and tries to prove it.

Oct 2016
Ashland
Whatever Colon was, he was a hell of a sailor and explorer and did as much to bring about vast Historical change as any man who ever lived. He was also, due to the Journals he kept, an invaluable primary source for History and an Historian in his own right.

A bit OFF-TOPIC: We'll watch 1492; Conquest of Paradise on the 12th. A fairly even-handed and artistic recounting of events.
Morrison's Admiral of the Ocean Sea, is an interesting Bio of the man.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
[QUOTE="martin76, post: 3051107, member: 32417. . .

. . .

That is the reason because I hate intepretations, or "lessons" from History... I am only interested in facts without any kind of interpretation.. any kind of manipulation...You know... June 6th, 1944: US, British and Canadian troops land in Normandy. Fact...without intepretation.
But without the interpretation, history is no fun at all. I have a few books with titles like "Seventeenth Century Europe". They are dry as dust-- recitals of facts. Good to have around as a quick resource, but not enjoyable reading for a quiet November evening. So give me something that takes an interpretive thesis and tries to prove it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. For reading yes... nothing better than to read a book where the writer make an interpretation about history (Now I am reading Paul Cartledge´s Alexander.... but I recognize it is not history... only the Paul´s Opinion. The "dry as dust" (I like this phrase) books are very difficult to read (and very boring)...but very important.. only facts.

Oct 2014
California, USA

Thank you so much for your thoughtful criticism. I think you're right. Originally I had intended to also address some of the recent claims against Columbus that belittle his accomplishments. That would have covered much of what you said, but I simply ran out of time if I was to get this posted before Columbus Day (which was my goal). I plan to remedy this. I'm not sure whether it would be better to try to add that this this post, or write about that in another post, and briefly mention it in this one, linking to the 2nd post and making it clearer that this post only addressing his treatment of the natives he encountered on his journey and while governing the colony of Hispaniola. I also agree that I could have addressed his character traits that "led to his achievements and failures" in more detail. I think that would be very relevant and would be worth spending time to add. In the meantime I might point people towards some other resources which deal well with that aspect of his story.