Fact Checking Columbus

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Perhaps, but it just seems inexplicable that Columbus genuinely thought he had arrived in the Indies when there was clearly not enough ‘hustle and bustle’ to be anything like what those or India and China were supposed to be like in their minds, as described by Europeans who had been there mostly by land, such as Marco Polo. There were also not nearly enough of or the right kind of spices to be anything like even the vague concept of what Europeans had of the Indies.

However, I also cannot accept the idea that Columbus was just a complete, lucky idiot because he was clearly and evidently very adept at many of the things he did. He was deluded and megalomaniacal in some ways, of course, but then so were Alexander and Napoleon who, like Columbus, also happened to be poor administrators but great at most everything else they set themselves to.
I agree with you Nuclearguy... My answer was not to you... because you have proved more than one time. you write knowing what you write (+1) ... It was for other people.. think in Ameria were Chinese, Polish, British, Irish, Swedish, Danish etc etc... Colón wanted to arrive to Asia... our dear Tulius is right.. word India in 15th-19th Century had different meaning.. not exaclty what "India" means from 20th Century.... Alaska, Idaho, Illinois were INDIES...as "Indies" as Calcutta, Bombay or Delhi.

May 2018
Michigan
Intellectual consistency is not a prevalent trait among historical commentators:

Caesar's Conquest of Gaul - good, heroic, historical fiction novels written
Columbus crossing the Atlantic - bad, because the 'evil legacy of colonialism' and modern day politics

I'm fairly certain Caesar murdered and enslaved far more Gauls than Columbus did natives to the Americas. I can see why no one is really condemning Gaius Julius Caesar for plundering Gaul: there are no cultural "Gauls" left with advocacy groups. If "Gallic Lives Matter" existed, they would probably try to get The Commentaries stricken from Latin classes on the basis of the document being a "recipe for genocide against the Gallic people!"

Unfortunately, i can't recall the source, but I remember reading that Columbus has been unfairly blamed for sexual exploitation of minors due to the misinterpretation of a letter where Columbus is in fact condemning the sexual exploitation of minors in the New World.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Intellectual consistency is not a prevalent trait among historical commentators:

Columbus crossing the Atlantic - bad, because the 'evil legacy of colonialism' and modern day politics

I'm fairly certain Caesar murdered and enslaved far more Gauls than Columbus did natives to the Americas. I can see why no one is really condemning Gaius Julius Caesar for plundering Gaul: there are no cultural "Gauls" left with advocacy groups. If "Gallic Lives Matter" existed, they would probably try to get The Commentaries stricken from Latin classes on the basis of the document being a "recipe for genocide against the Gallic people!"

Unfortunately, i can't recall the source, but I remember reading that Columbus has been unfairly blamed for sexual exploitation of minors due to the misinterpretation of a letter where Columbus is in fact condemning the sexual exploitation of minors in the New World.
Thanks Sparky for sparking my limited poetic ability:

Let's try another poem:

Reviewing History

Conquests and empires, gores for glories,
what renders history attractive and dramatic?

Time traveling, alternative history,
why are we grumpy about our history?

Yesterday's glories, tomorrow's follies,
Are we certain about the meaning?

(Ok, let's stop at that. I call myself a lousy poet.)

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Even if it isn't that trendy... there are historical fiction novels written about Columbus.