Fake Quotes

Apr 2011
I dislike fake quotes but hate it when they're attributed to important people.

My question is what fake quotes do you hate the most?

Dec 2010
Oregon
My question is what fake quotes do you hate the most?
I'm not sure if this exactly conforms with the OP, but 'Let them eat cake' bothers me a little. Some historians insist Marie Antoinette never said that. How would they know for sure? By most accounts she was the sort of person who would have said it.

OTOH she had a lot of enemies who'd have backstabbed her with that allegation in a heartbeat, and probably said much the same thing themselves often enough.

OpanaPointer

Ad Honoris
Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.
"We have wakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."
That was Toshiro Mifune, not Isoruku Yamamoto.

OpanaPointer

Ad Honoris
Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.
I'm not sure if this exactly conforms with the OP, but 'Let them eat cake' bothers me a little. Some historians insist Marie Antoinette never said that. How would they know for sure? By most accounts she was the sort of person who would have said it.

OTOH she had a lot of enemies who'd have backstabbed her with that allegation in a heartbeat, and probably said much the same thing themselves often enough.
She was not talking about birthday cakes, but a by-product of baking bread, IIRC. The stuff that was usually thrown out.

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
"You dirty rat" - James Cagney. He never said it apparently. Not particularly historical, I know, but I've been hearing it all my life and was so disappointed to hear it's a misquote.:sad:

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
"We have wakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."
That was Toshiro Mifune, not Isoruku Yamamoto.
By coincidence the one i hate most also gets attributed to Yamamoto

"You cannot invade the mainland United States.
There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Reactions: Futurist