Fake Quotes

Feb 2011
Cumbernauld Scotland
At least get the Shakespearian quote right
A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!

Along with Et Tu Brute does anyone really think they are anything other than lines spoken by actors not historic quotes?
I am sorry when did Shakespeare get any history right, I Call it my mental block whenever someone quotes that stuff with me just as he has written in history I will still miss quote him as he has miss quoted history do you understand me now

Mar 2010
"OH a shiny penny!!!! what was that??"

JFK Dallas plaza 1963 when an assasins bullet narrowly missed his head

"Our American Cousin, sounds like rubbish I wont bother going to the theatre tonight."
Abraham Lincoln, destroying the career of British playwright, Tom Taylor.

"Pompeys theatre you say?? Sure i'll go, let me just read this message first.......OOHH hell no"

Ceaser before ordering the arrest and execution of Brutus and the others.

"Our chauffer looks drunk lets just get a taxi tonight Dodi."
Princess Di, at her trail for the unfair dismisal of her Chauffer

Feb 2012
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Evelyn Beatrice Hall as a summary of Voltaire's beliefs and not said by Voltaire himself.

Gudenrath

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Denmark
"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society". Attributed to Aristotle (by some American right wing ministers as far as I can see from some Googling).

Quite obvious a fake because Aristotle wouldn't have known about the concept of religious toleration, and it would only have become a relevant term in the Hellenistic world when monotheism spread around the Mediterranean several centuries AD.

Aug 2010
Wales
I am sorry when did Shakespeare get any history right, I Call it my mental block whenever someone quotes that stuff with me just as he has written in history I will still miss quote him as he has miss quoted history do you understand me now
I dont know, some of his stuff isnt too bad. What obvious changes he made were either to obey the social-political climes of his day, or for the sheer problems of trying to make historical events into a play and so taking the same sort of poetic licesne Hollywood might.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shakespeares-Kings-John-Julius-Norwich/dp/0140249133/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351614868&sr=8-1"]Shakespeare's Kings: Amazon.co.uk: John Julius Norwich: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5151VTT02QL.@@AMEPARAM@@5151VTT02QL[/ame]

Similar History Discussions