Fake Quotes

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
I agree with you there. Here's one which really annoys me My kingdom, My Kingdom, My Kingdom for horse. He actually said at Bosworth Treason, Treason,Treason after the Standleys Chose to side with Tudor.
The actual quote from Shakespeare is "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse"

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
This fake quotation ascribed to Lord Macaulay is all over the internet:

"I have traveled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."

See further here:

http://www.historum.com/asian-histo...ess-british-parliament-2-february-1835-a.html

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
I'm not sure if this exactly conforms with the OP, but 'Let them eat cake' bothers me a little. Some historians insist Marie Antoinette never said that. How would they know for sure? By most accounts she was the sort of person who would have said it.
They know for sure because the the first appearance of the phrase was attributed to a "great princess" when Marie Antoinette was nine years old and still living in Austria. And by all accurate accounts she was not the sort of woman who would have said it.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
The 'let them eat cake' story falls into a standard folklore pattern that is attested all over the world, e.g. 16th Century Germany, some starving peasants ask for food from a noble lady or princess, and someone present asks, 'Why don't they eat bread-and-cheese', or in a coarser version, 'Sie sollten Koth (sh*t) essen'. Similar stories are recorded, both earlier and later than that, as far away ans India and China, with always a better food than that available being suggested, whether meat instead of cereals, or a feast-day food instead of rice. The tone varies, the person making the remark is sometimes presented as being deliberately cruel, or may be stupid, or may be culpably ignorant. Now it is one of the features of standard motifs like this that they come to be associated with well-known people; and the story was certainly known in France before it came to be attached to Marie Antoinette; Rousseau already ascribes the remark to a 'grande princesse' in his Memoirs published in the 1760s. So the question is: did it come to be attributed to MA as a feature of the propaganda that was directed against her at the time, or is this a subsequent development? The remark has not yet been found attributed to her in any contemporary source, and not in any printed source at all prior to the 1840s. So it would seem that this an example of posthumous myth-making, so that it came about that something that MA had never said came to be regarded as epitomizing her character and attitude, perhaps even more outside France than inside France itself (where people usually know more about her). In the English version the story loses some of its piquancy because 'brioche' (which is a fancy sort of bread like panettone) is translated as 'cake'.

Mar 2012
Intern's Palace Apartment ,Woodlands,Texas
"To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree."
-Charles Darwin 1872

This quote was vastly taken out of context by Creation Ministries International.

It officially read..
"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree. When it was first said that the sun stood still and the world turned round, the common sense of mankind declared the doctrine false; but the old saying of Vox populi, vox Dei, as every philosopher knows, cannot be trusted in science. Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certainly the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case; and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself originated; but I may remark that, as some of the lowest organisms, in which nerves cannot be detected, are capable of perceiving light, it does not seem impossible that certain sensitive elements in their code should become aggregated and developed into nerves, endowed with this special sensibility."

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51 percent of the people may take away the rights of the other 49"
Thomas Jefferson 1785
There are no indications that Jefferson ever stated anything like this. One final misquote is Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stating to "wipe Israel off the map." That is not the case as he truly stated "The Soviet Union died peacefully but that does not have any affect on what will happen in there [Israel]. The Zionist regime will either go two ways. They will peacefully be disbanded and the Holy Land will become a democracy like our good friend Russia. Or the country will forcefully take on itself like Romania. He [Referencing to Nicolae Ceauşesci] did not seem to know (or care) what was happening to the Romanians and the people got sick and tired of this to the point they got rid of the fake regime [Ahmadinejad Denounces Cultural Marxism] by force. We do not want this option. We want a peacefully let the people choose what they true want and everything will go right."

Gudenrath

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Denmark
"If I had Canadian soldiers, American technology, and British officers, I could rule the world".

This bogus quote, which is quite popular on the net, is attributed to Winston Churchill.

PM96

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
California
"We have wakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."
That was Toshiro Mifune, not Isoruku Yamamoto.
Another fake quote from Yamamoto:

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

There's no doubt that this misquote came from some... politically motivated people.

Nov 2012
Another politically motivated fake quote:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury."

Usually attributed to 18th century historian Alexander Tytler. Made by an American conservative no earlier than the 1950s. It's not only wrong, it's a flat-out fraud; the archaic word largess was used only to make the fake 18th century attribution more believable.

Similar History Discussions