Fall of the Berlin Wall-A good thing?

Rosi

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2008
That sounds so funny. I wasn't even alive when the Wall come down and your saying that it is too soon. Sorry, bizarre sense of humor again
Yeah well, '91 wasn't all that long ago. Seems like yesterday tbh... It is too soon to say anything definite about the many repercussions that are bound to occur with the fall of the wall. Only time will tell how things unfold. There, what an amazingly original thought.

If things work out fine, then the fall will have been a good thing. If not, it would be derided as a monstrous and absolutely idiotic thing to do. Reminds me of Einstein's reply when he was asked what would happen when his theory of relativity is actually experimented with some day after he is gone. He said: "If the theory is proven correct, the Germans will say I was a German and the French will say I was a Jew. But if it's not, the Germans will say I was a Jew and the French will say I was a German."

Feb 2008
Cincinnati
Lol, don't feel bad Son of Cathal, I was only 8 when it happened.

One of my old history profs once told me that you have to wait at least 30 years (or something like that) to write real history; it just takes that long for the passions of the moment to subside, not to mention the time needed for the collection of documents and other data. God only knows how many government documents are still locked away somewhere, or how many were destroyed for that matter. Anyway, my point is to be careful not to judge too quickly, because there is always stuff we don't know. Hell, we still discover new information about the ancient world all the time, and that was thousands of years ago.

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
One of my old history profs once told me that you have to wait at least 30 years (or something like that) to write real history; it just takes that long for the passions of the moment to subside, not to mention the time needed for the collection of documents and other data.
I was once told that, as historians, we should never study events through which we have lived. Seemed strangely hypocritical coming from a man in his sixties who is a renowned historian of twentieth-century international affairs but there you have it.

Jun 2008
wilmington, nc
I was in Berlin when the wall was built. Never thought that i would see it come down. It was bad at the time, so coming down had to be better. The wall split famlies. It caused goverments say on thing and act another. Goverment leaders showed feet of clay. The west stumbled, people died trying to flee. As troops on the ground we were fed a load of bulls....
The world leaders had no idea of what to do.

Jul 2007
Canada
Well, agree or not, that was certainly interesting reading, Edgewaters.

Is it just me, or does Treanor's assertions fail to take into account the dfference between acts and omissions?
Deliberately, I think ... as far as I can make out it's just a raw evaluation of impact, free of contexts. All his stuff is the same, very compelling but not really useful. Completely fluid perspective, no commitment to anything but attack, so it has minimal utility - but an interesting exercise in criticism.

Similar History Discussions