Family document - translation from Latin needed

Mar 2017
Colorado
Hi, could anyone knowing Latin help me?
I can understand from this document that family gave some rights of representation to the lawyer but what was the case about?

Big thanks in advance
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K4FNZhNg8Ij9sfppq65V_0QKFumlLnKX/view?usp=sharing

I was going to jump in, but then I saw I'd have read the old script as well. This is what I would suggest.

1) Convert the document to text ... there are free downloadable Latin OCR readers you can use (I've had kind of mixed results).
https://latinocr.org/
https://eadh.org/projects/rescribe-latin-ocr

2) Maybe you'll get lucky since it's "modern" Latin. Try Google translate. It's pretty decent with French, German, & Italian ... but is worse than a highschooler with Latin. It's worth a shot.
https://translate.google.com/?sl=af

3) Attack the Latin --
a) I don't think I like this one: https://en.eprevodilac.com/prevodilac-latinski-engleski
b) This one is difficult to use: Latin Dictionary Online Translation LEXILOGOS >>
c) This is my favorite, but it's a dictionary and you have to work your way through declensions, etc. It's very nicely done: https://www.online-latin-dictionary.com/latin-dictionary-flexion.php?lemma=QUISQUE100

Powodzenia!

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
I've got no problem with Latin ... if I can read the kind of writing used in the document and actually I've got some difficulties in recognizing the letters.

The final "Dato Lepoli Die 21 July 1796 anno" is a good starting point to understand how they wrote letters.

Plenipotentia ...

It's something serious and important, but plenipotentiary about what?

The core of the matter is that "Curatorem et Deputationem in ..." [it's about the appointment of a guardian, substantially] what follows? In "Ma ..." Ma what?

The handwriting makes the matter quite complicated for me. You should find someone used to deal with ancient handwriting [unfortunately I'm used to deal with digital versions of Latin texts ...].

Jan 2018
Netherlands
The grammar is not that hard, but the vocabulary is a bit technical and I would have to look up many of the terms in order to be able to give a satisfactory translation. This would cost me a certain amount of time, which I unfortunately do not have at my disposal right now, but someone else could probably do it. Here is a transcription, doubtlessly not flawless:

Plenipotentia, vi cujus nos, infrascripti, Nscum (?nobiscum?) Joannem de Zarzycki advocatum Universalem in nostrum nostrorumque Successorum legitimum Plenipotentem eligimus ac constituimus,

eique
plenam facultatem causas nostras promovendi et defendendi,
complanationes ineundi,
commissiones licitationesque attentandi,
Summas evictas levandi,
et de levatis nomine nostro quietandi,
Documenta in- et extabulandi,
juramenta offerendi (afferendi?) deferendi,
et relata acceptandi,
curatorem et Deputationem in Massis cridariis eligendi,
alios Plenipotentes in locum sui con- et substituendi,
caeteraque pro exigentia negotiorum in omni judicio et officio peragendi,
cum clausula rati et grati nec non indemnitatis
damus ac concedimus

hancque Plenipotentiam majoris firmitatis gratia in praesentia Testium, absque eorum tamen praejudicio manibus propriis subscribimus.

Dato Leopoli die 21= Julij 1796 anno

Juzef Rzepinski Sko: Hiro...
Antoni Rzepinski
According to some sources, "massa"= curator bonorum and "cridarius" = debitor communis.

Last edited:
Mar 2017
Colorado
The grammar is not that hard, but the vocabulary is a bit technical and I would have to look up many of the terms in order to be able to give a satisfactory translation. This would cost me a certain amount of time, which I unfortunately do not have at my disposal right now, but someone else could probably do it. Here is a transcription, doubtlessly not flawless:

According to some sources, "massa"= curator bonorum and "cridarius" = debitor communis.
Reader Beware!
This is the uber-crude translation of Slak's text from "Google Translate" (it just hurt my eyes to look at the original).

"It is a statute in the one of us and our men ''s universal successors of the John Zarzycki Plenipotentem we choose as an advocate and to set in place,

and
full capability to promote and defend our causes;
Complanationis contract;
licitationesque commissions for approval,
Evinced greatest uplift
in our name, and from being relieved of their complete satisfaction,
In- and extabulandi documents;
The oaths to be presented (to bring?) continent,
also reported accepting,
and a curator for the designation in mass cridariis choices:
and in the place of his con- Plenipotentes others, to substitute,
and the other for the demand of the duty of carrying out a business, in every judgment, and,
shed tears of gratitude, as well as company and given with the clause
we give, grant, and

this effect is in the grace of the presence of the witnesses to the full powers of a greater firmness, independently of their being, however, not to prejudice with their own hands have also subscribed.
"

You can see it fell apart in a few places ... but doesn't it look like a generic power of attorney? Now is the time to crack out the dictionary since there's context. It sounds suspiciously like 18th century legal boilerplate.

"Universal successors?" Did you inherit something from 240 yrs ago? Hope it's a bank account.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Netherlands
As indicated, it helps when you are familiar with the technicalities of juridical language, and I am not. However, I've given it a try:
Plenipotency/authorisation by the power of which we, the undersigned, have chosen and confirmed “Mscum”(? Nscum: “with us”? Msrum: “magistrum”? unsure what to read here) Joannes de Zarzycki, universal guardian, as legitimate plenipotentiary of us and of our successors,

and to him we give and concede
the full capacity to promote and defend our causes,
to enter into agreements,
to strive after commissions and licitations,
to raise evicted sums and to quit from the sums raised in our name,
to register and unregister documents,
to offer and defer oaths, and accept those referred,
to choose a curator and a deputation concerning (?)debtors’ goods(?) (massae cridariae?),
to constitute and substitute in his place other plenipotentiaries,
and to do the other things according to the need of the business in every judgment and office,
with a clausule of ratification and approval, and also of indemnity,

and this plenipotency/authorisation, for the sake of greater strength, we have in the presence of witnesses, yet without their preconceived opinion, signed with our own hands.

Given at Lviv the 21st day of July in the year 1796, etc.