Favorite/Best Unit(Regiment, Brigade, Division, Corps) of the American civil war

Aug 2012
United States
For the longest time I have been reluctant to study the civil war because of my preconceived notion of the war being strategically and tactically uninteresting. I was mostly interested in early modern warfare until a friend of mine loaned me Battle Cry of Freedom by Mcpherson and implored me to read it. To make a long story short I am now hooked having already purchased 10 books and read 6. I would like to start reading up on some of the units that performed well in the war so I ask you what are some of your favorite or the best units(regiment, brigade, Division, Corps) of the Civil War.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
it had the first machine guns, and scorched earth tactics.

I think the coloured regiments. that helped somewhat turn the North's hand towards abolishing slavery.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
36th New York. (British and Irish mixed with Yankees)
39th New York. (Italians)
79th New York (Scottish)
Berdans Sharpshooters.

Louisiana Tiger Zouves.
24th Virginia

Oct 2015
Virginia
The possibilities are endless...the Iron Brigade, the Irish Brigade, the Texas Brigade, the Stonewall Brigade, Wilder's Lightning Brigade, A P Hill's Light Division, the Pennsylvania Reserves, the Orphan Brigade from Kentucky et al.

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
J.E.B. Stuart's calvary. Because my great-great grandfather served in it.

Dec 2012
Dublin
it had the first ... scorched earth tactics.
Tudor armies in Ireland in the late 16th century employed a scorched earth policy to the point that the ordinary people of the countryside were devastated by famine.

The poet Edmund Spenser described the result in his View of the Present State of Ireland (c.1595):

'... notwithstanding that the same was a most rich and plentiful country, full of corn and cattle, ... yet ere one year and a half they were brought to such wretchedness, as that any stony heart would have rued the same. Out of every corner of the wood and glens they came creeping forth upon their hands, for their legs could not bear them; they looked Anatomies [of] death, they spoke like ghosts crying out of their graves; they did eat of the carrions, happy where they could find them, yea, and one another soon after, in so much as the very carcasses they spared not to scrape out of their graves; and if they found a plot of water-cresses or shamrocks, there they flocked as to a feast for the time, yet not able long to continue therewithal; that in a short space there were none almost left, and a most populous and plentiful country suddenly left void of man or beast.' (p.165)

And so did Holinshed in Vol 6 of his Chronicles (1587):

The land it selfe, which before those warrs was populous, well inhabited, and rich in all the good blessings of God, being plentious of corne, full of cattell, well stored with fish and sundrie other good connnodities, is now become waste and barren, yeelding no fruits, the pastures no cattell, the fields no corne, the aire no birds, the seas (though full of fish) yet to them yeelding nothing. (p.460)

Feb 2017
The Peak of Good Living
To keep things fair and balanced, these are some of my favorite Confederate Brigades:

The Louisiana Tigers regiment.

58th Alabama

The Stonewall Brigade

26th North Carolina

Mosby's Rangers

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Some awesome unit names too. Though most were company sized units absorbed into other units...

Pee Dee Wildcats. (Part of 26th North Carolina actually)
Hell Roaring Horse.
New garden Fearnaughts
Mountain Boomers

Dec 2012
Dublin
... what are some of your favorite or the best units(regiment, brigade, Division, Corps) of the Civil War.
For me, an Irishman, it would be the Irish Brigade, originally established under Corcoran but enlarged and reorganised by Thomas Francis Meagher [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Francis_Meagher ], an 1848 Young Irelander [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Ireland] who was transported to Australia, escaped and found his way to the United States. Meagher was the man mainly responsible for the creation of the Irish Tricolor [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ireland].