Favorite Civil War story?

Aug 2012
The American Civil War is an incredibly interesting time in history, full of big personalities and big leaps in warfare - from tactics to the technology armies used. And as it's a subject of such interest to this forum, and so many of you are very learned on the issue, I thought it would be nice to have a thread where you can share you favourite stories and anecdotes from the conflict.

For myself, I was always interested in the plot to use biological warfare against the Union. A Kentucky doctor, Luke Blackburn, was well respected for his research into Yellow Fever. When the war broke out, the doctor wanted to use his medical expertise to aid the Confederate cause, relocating to Canada where he could better plan. He traveled to Bermuda, where there had been an outbreak of Yellow Fever, and under the guise of attending to the sick, gathered together numerous blankets and bedsheets stained with the vomit of the afflicted.
Blackburn's aim was to create a pandemic in the North, which had less experience with the disease and so may be more susceptible to its spread. With the promise of a big cash payout, he enlisted an accomplice to convey the spoiled garments to the North, even to Washington DC, hoping to kill President Lincoln.
Unwisely, Blackburn consistently withheld the promised money, which led to his henchman running off to the authorities and revealing the entire plot in exchange for immunity. Interestingly, he also revealed that the plan had been funded by Confederate spymaster Jacob Thompson, and that knowledge of the scheme extended to Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

But that's just one story, and I'm sure all of your have your own favourite areas of the war which you like to research, some of which the rest of us may not have heard of before :)

Oct 2014
In an ultimate "Spirt of the Game" (SOTG) state of
Somewhere I read of some POWs, I believe Union, who were burying someone.
One of them was a ventriloquist, who made the dead person say something
like "Hey! Why are you doing this? I will put a curse on you!"

Their guards fled in terror, so the POWs were able to escape.

Feb 2011
Scotland
Upon being told that General Pope was proudly boasting that he had his ‘headquarters in the saddle ‘

Lincoln’s reported quip ( perhaps apocryphal?)
“The trouble with General Pope is that his headquarters are where his hindquarters ought to be!”

Cue Second Bull Run.

Oct 2016
Merryland
what I heard was
a Confederate soldier enlisted in the US army after the hostilities.
rose in the ranks to General. participated in the war in Cuba where he supposedly encouraged his troops with 'let's go boys we got these Yankees on the run!'

Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
what I heard was
a Confederate soldier enlisted in the US army after the hostilities.
rose in the ranks to General. participated in the war in Cuba where he supposedly encouraged his troops with 'let's go boys we got these Yankees on the run!'
Joseph "Fighting Joe" Wheeler

here is a photo of the boyo in Cuba with Teddy Roosevelt. Joe is the one with the white beard.

Theodore-roosevelt-and-officers.gif

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia
Forrest doing a cavalry charge on a regiment or two of union infantry and recognizing that he is all alone in middle of hundreds of unionists because his cavalrymen did not follow him.

But the crazy guy made it out of a mess and even killing few.

Jul 2018
London
Forrest doing a cavalry charge on a regiment or two of union infantry and recognizing that he is all alone in middle of hundreds of unionists because his cavalrymen did not follow him.

But the crazy guy made it out of a mess and even killing few.
I would like to see this done by Rowan Atkinson!

Oct 2018
Minneapolis, MN
The American Civil War is an incredibly interesting time in history, full of big personalities and big leaps in warfare - from tactics to the technology armies used. And as it's a subject of such interest to this forum, and so many of you are very learned on the issue, I thought it would be nice to have a thread where you can share you favourite stories and anecdotes from the conflict.

For myself, I was always interested in the plot to use biological warfare against the Union. A Kentucky doctor, Luke Blackburn, was well respected for his research into Yellow Fever. When the war broke out, the doctor wanted to use his medical expertise to aid the Confederate cause, relocating to Canada where he could better plan. He traveled to Bermuda, where there had been an outbreak of Yellow Fever, and under the guise of attending to the sick, gathered together numerous blankets and bedsheets stained with the vomit of the afflicted.
Blackburn's aim was to create a pandemic in the North, which had less experience with the disease and so may be more susceptible to its spread. With the promise of a big cash payout, he enlisted an accomplice to convey the spoiled garments to the North, even to Washington DC, hoping to kill President Lincoln.
Unwisely, Blackburn consistently withheld the promised money, which led to his henchman running off to the authorities and revealing the entire plot in exchange for immunity. Interestingly, he also revealed that the plan had been funded by Confederate spymaster Jacob Thompson, and that knowledge of the scheme extended to Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

But that's just one story, and I'm sure all of your have your own favourite areas of the war which you like to research, some of which the rest of us may not have heard of before :)
Never knew that about Blackburn, that is really interesting.

I always was intrigued by Jack Hinson. His kids were killed by the US as suspected bushwhackers, so he took his .50 cal longrifle and would set up in the trees along rivers and pick off military leaders in boats. Was one of the earliest snipers with kills of over half a mile away.

Outside of that, the whole ironclad ship stories were amazing to read.

As for me mostly I read up on the causes and what went on during secession itself, and enjoy anything on Lincoln.

Jan 2017
Sydney
The more heart wrenching of them all.
In the 30th of November of 64 Hood launched his army in an unnecessary attack against the Federals at the battle of Franklin
to teach them aggression ???
It was a slaughter , with confederates having ten times more killed as the Union, 33 regimental commander casualties
including Pat Cleburne found dead still on his dead horse kept upright by the dead bodies of his men .

some of the worst fighting was in the yard of the Carter house ,
the morning after while tending to the wounded
the Carters found their son Captain Carter who had gone to war only to be struck in his home
he was taken inside and died surrounded by his family

I stood in the yard , a moving moment

Similar History Discussions