Favorite traditional music?

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Can you call that one traditional? If I remember correctly it was written in the 1920s shortly after the Irish War of Independence, so it's not really that old.
It would've had to been if it references the Black and Tans. That said, it's part of a long tradition of Irish resistance songs, most famous of which are The Wearing of the Green and The Rising of the Moon, both of which date back to the failed rising of 1798.

And here's another one commemorating the Irish victory at Glenmalure in 1580. The lyrics weren't written until the Nineteenth Century, but the tune was purportedly used by the troops of Fiach McHugh O'Byrne during the Second Desmond Rebellion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mastersonmcvoidson
Jul 2019
New Jersey
Can't resist putting this here. This Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal (Goddess of Thunder, iirc) is the oldest song we know of, dating back to 1400 BCE. This woman has a truly beautiful voice.

Reactions: Kamayani

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
This isn't "traditional" Japanese music, but it's a blend of traditional instruments played in a modern way.

Reactions: Nostromo

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Can you call that one traditional? If I remember correctly it was written in the 1920s shortly after the Irish War of Independence, so it's not really that old.
That's true, but the way it is performed is not unlike other Irish traditional songs. I'd say age isn't everything.

Apr 2019
India
Witch raise the question ..what is traditional music ?

I guess the musical tradition which is not considered 'classical' and which has not been modified by the outside influences or which has not been reconstructed?
Like this:
This is real folk music/dance of real gypsies of Thar desert in India.

Apr 2019
India
Can't resist putting this here. This Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal (Goddess of Thunder, iirc) is the oldest song we know of, dating back to 1400 BCE. This woman has a truly beautiful voice.

Thanks for sharing this gem. Seems like there are many of them. Atleast we can properly date them it's pity that same is not case with the ancient Indian chants.
Oldest available Indian or probably Indo-European music is found in Samveda which is inarguably best preserved 'musical' literature of ancient world thanks to the detailed and dedicated method with which it was propagated. We had about thousand chating styles but only a few could survive.
Samveda chants are essentially 'religious' so we can't know how folk/popular music used to be in those days.