Favorite traditional music?

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Here's another old ballad, either from the North of England or Scotland. I'm not going to post the lyrics because it's much more powerful if you listen without knowing what comes next. All I'll say is that this song is horribly relevant nowadays.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Here's some Sicilian folk music. Here's a Tarantella:

And here's Ce La Luna (It's that song everybody's singing during the wedding in the beginning of The Godfather). It's a little.... saucy, but it's a great tune.

And finally, this is a Sicilian song that my Italian-American busdriver used to play on our schoolbus - much to our enjoyment. The tune has stuck in my head since then.

Reactions: Linschoten

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
Please do you have few nice examples? I'm clueless about musics you mention but interested in folk music. Especially in folk metal but it is not necessary.
Google Black Kirin - Chinese folk metal. This is without metal elements.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Posting about traditional Greek music is somewhat difficult as there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of different dances and accompanying musical styles. So I will just post a few that I personally like, in no way a representative list.

From the Aegean islands

From Dodecanese

From the coast of Asia Minor (Lydia region)

The singer with the distinct voice in all three songs above has an interesting life story as well. She was born in 1944, the daughter of a Wehrmacht officer in occupied Greece, and a Greek woman from Santorini. The two fell in love and became a couple, which resulted in the imprisonment of the German soldier by the SS, punishment for creating a family with a local woman. He vanished, probably killed during his imprisonment. The daughter was brought up in Santorini and became one of the most prominent and popular Greek folk singers. Mariza Koch.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Next, some Cretan dance music (pentozali)

A Cretan war song, very popular all over Greece

Pontic Dance (2004 Athens Olympics closing ceremony)

Tsamikos from Epirus