Favourite Emperor of the Antonine and Severan Periods

Who are your favourite emperors from the years AD 96-235 (up to two choices)?

• Nerva

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Trajan

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Hadrian

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Antoninus Pius

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Marcus Aurelius

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Lucius Verus

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Commodus

• Pertinax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didius Julianus

• Septimius Severus

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Pescennius Niger

• Clodius Albinus

• Caracalla

• Geta

• Macrinus

• Elagabalus

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Severus Alexander

• Total voters
Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
The philosopher-Emperor Marcus Aurelius is the obvious choice here. If only his disposition had been passed on to his son.

Jul 2016
Just outside the Rust Belt
My favorite? Elagabulus because he was so strange in a "This cannot be real sort of way". Most effective? Well boot out all the Severan Emperors and its really just a race between Trajain and Hardian.

I made the boring choice of Hadrian and Marcus Aurelius; again we need a parallel vote for the most badass Emperor.
You're right. For the time being I'm letting people interpret 'favourite' how they wish. I'm switching between genuine admiration (Augustus), interest-value (Augustus, Domitian) and entertainment-value (Domitian, Didius Julianus, Elagabalus). But there should definitely be a most bad-ass emperor poll.

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
I've chosen Didius Julianus, because he won the emperorship from the Praetorians in a bidding war...
Well, strictly speaking, yes he did, although he was bargaining for power - not a political office that did not actually exist. The only other contestant was his step-father-in-law who lost because Didius claimed he was a supporter of the previous - and very murdered - Caesar by the name of Pertinax, plus Didius offered an outrageous donative he never actually paid. This was why the Senate virtually ignored him. You could obtain power by fair or foul means, but the elite of Rome were not supposed to muddy their paws with tawdry business deals and that's exactly how Didius Julianus came to power, and the reason he found no support when news that Septimius Severus had won the struggle for opposition and was heading to Rome at the head of an army. Didius pleaded with the Senate for help and support. All he got was a visit from a military officer with orders to kill him.

But, truth be told, I rather like the silly old duffer, and he gets my vote too :D

Similar History Discussions