Favourite Emperor of the Antonine and Severan Periods

Who are your favourite emperors from the years AD 96-235 (up to two choices)?

• Nerva

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Trajan

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Hadrian

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Antoninus Pius

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Marcus Aurelius

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Lucius Verus

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Commodus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pertinax

• Didius Julianus

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Septimius Severus

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Pescennius Niger

• Clodius Albinus

• Caracalla

• Geta

• Macrinus

• Elagabalus

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Severus Alexander

• Total voters

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
That's the problem. He hasn't suggested he's joking and some might think he was serious leading to mistakes in historical understanding. This is why we live in a world with some of the most ridiculous fake news and conspiracy theories. But then we also live in a world where one of the world's most powerful men is having a tantrum because no-one wants to pay for his pet project. I seem to remember Nero ran into a similar problem. His solution was inheritance and blackmail. One suspects he wasn't joking :D

That's the problem. He hasn't suggested he's joking and some might think he was serious leading to mistakes in historical understanding. This is why we live in a world with some of the most ridiculous fake news and conspiracy theories. But then we also live in a world where one of the world's most powerful men is having a tantrum because no-one wants to pay for his pet project. I seem to remember Nero ran into a similar problem. His solution was inheritance and blackmail. One suspects he wasn't joking :D
In any case, I think he fell squarely between two fighting hippos *joking*

Feb 2011
Scotland
You are absolutely correct and thank you, Diocletian! Its a fun topic, its a time for a little seasonal fun and nice to lighten up. :)

I dont claim to be an authority on Antinous, but there is quite a detailed article on him on Wikipedia throwing considerable uncertainty upon the actual mode of death- primarily quoting Lambert, Royston (1984). Beloved and God: The Story of Hadrian and Antinous. George Weidenfeld & Nicolson. I havent read it and dont particularly intend to (as it wasnt in any seasonal prezzies!) and the article suggests that Antinous is probably buried at Hadrian's villa at Tivoli. If his body is ever found it may just have a couple of crocodile teeth embedded in it...:)

Feb 2011
Scotland
For heavens sake, please recognise a seasonal joke when its proferred, cut out the lectures and accusations and lighten up. This is the most ridiculous fuss over nothing!!!! Theres plenty of room for light hearted chat on here without misleading the world.

Similar History Discussions