Favourite Emperor of the Fourth Century (306-395)

Who are your favourite emperors from the years AD 306-395 (up to two choices)?

• Constantine I

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Maxentius

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Licinius

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maximinus II Daza

• Constantine II

• Constantius II

• Constans I

• Magnentius

• Vetranio

• Constantius Gallus

• Julian

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Jovian

• Valentinian I

• Valens

• Procopius

• Gratian

• Valentinian II

• Magnus Maximus

• Theodosius I

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Eugenius

• Total voters
Feb 2011
Scotland
The most British of the emperors was arguably Carausius - feel free to vote for him in the Crisis/Tetrarchic poll :) (now that I think about it, you may well be the one person who has so far voted for Carausius in that poll, although he does have his British fans). I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it, but Gratian is certainly interesting from the 'what if' of what if he was present at Adrianople.
Thanks- I did vote for him! Another good point for him is that either he is named after a stick insect or they are named after him- not sure which!

Indeed no! Quite a prominent conk, unlike the average stick insect. ( i believe Sybil Fawlty called Basil an 'ageing, brilliantined stick insect' so maybe Carausius was quite tall!)
Haha, true, she does. Incidentally, Carausius' nose almost looks broken on the Carausius et Fratres Sui type:

1546043659633.png

Perhaps a nose of that kind spoke to a hardy soldier image.

Feb 2011
Scotland
Haha, true, she does. Incidentally, Carausius' nose almost looks broken on the Carausius et Fratres Sui type:

View attachment 14333

Perhaps a nose of that kind spoke to a hardy soldier image.
That's a gorgeous example of the type!
The prominent conk is either a soldierly image or perhaps a sign he suffered many colds whilst resident here!

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Constantine towers above everyone else.

I’m not sure why Julian is ranking, Theodosius IMO is the clear #2 (but I didn’t vote for him because I dislike him). Julian was a disastrous leader on the level of Valens. The difference between the two is Julian was stupider, arguably a more overinflated ego, but easily the most pretentious Emperor since Elagabalus.

Similar History Discussions