Favourite films of the 1950s

Jan 2017
UK
Because the other threads on early cinema attracted a lot of good discussion, I'm making this thread for sharing recommendations, thoughts and opinions on cinema in the 1950s.

I'm gonna have to display my bias since the 50s is among my favourite decades in cinema, so many great directors thrived after the end of WW2, in Hollywood and around the rest of the world. There's too many to list so I'll just give a few for now:

Los Olvidados: Brutal depiction of child poverty in the slums of Mexico City. Luis Bunuel never topped it imo.
Sunset Boulevard: Hollywood unmasked with a towering performance by Gloria Swanson.
Bienvenido Mr. Marshall: The Americans are coming with dollars, a poor Spanish village tidies itself up for those dollars.
Wild Strawberries: Victor Sjostrom reminisces on his life as he travels to accept an honourary degree. Classic Bergman

Madame de..: Love-triangle by Max Ophuls and his glorious tracking shots.
Tokyo Story: Ozu's timeless story of the generational gap
Sansho the Bailiff: A governor is sent into exile, his children are prevented from joining him as they try to reunite the family. One of many great 50s films by Mizoguchi

A Man Escaped: One POW's meticulous prison escape, in Bresson's sparse storytelling style.
Hiroshima, Mon Amour: Directorial tour-de-force by Alain Resnais, not bad for a debut.

Reactions: Niobe

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
The Searchers, Rio Grande, The Sweet Smell of Success, Anatomy of a Murder, Ace in the Hole, South Pacific, The Quiet Man, Seven Samurai, The Ten Commandments, From Here to Eternity, All About Eve, Ben-Hur, Rio Bravo, Winchester 73, Sunset Blvd.

Help me, I can't stop.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
North by Northwest would be my favorite. I enjoy Vertigo and the Ten Commandments as well.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
North by Northwest would be my favorite. I enjoy Vertigo and the Ten Commandments as well.
Oh yeah, Vertigo and North by Northwest, absolutely. And The Man Who Knew Too Much. And Rear Window.

I saw Vertigo when it came out, when I was a kid in Catholic school. And I understood totally the thing at the end with the nun. Hitchcock went to Catholic school too. I don't think one can fully understand Vertigo without having a Catholic education, at least grade school.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Oh yeah, Vertigo and North by Northwest, absolutely. And The Man Who Knew Too Much. And Rear Window.

I saw Vertigo when it came out, when I was a kid in Catholic school. And I understood totally the thing at the end with the nun. Hitchcock went to Catholic school too. I don't think one can fully understand Vertigo without having a Catholic education, at least grade school.
All those Hitchcock movies were great. What's Zimne Piwo from you avatar mean in English?

zincwarrior

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Texas
The Searchers, Rio Grande, The Sweet Smell of Success, Anatomy of a Murder, Ace in the Hole, South Pacific, The Quiet Man, Seven Samurai, The Ten Commandments, From Here to Eternity, All About Eve, Ben-Hur, Rio Bravo, Winchester 73, Sunset Blvd.

Help me, I can't stop.
Battleground, the Thing From Another World, Them, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twelve Angry Men, and the movies above.