Favourite films of the 1950s

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
In the '50's, Marilyn did get one really different, serious role (seriously creepy), though it was in something of a B film... Don't Bother to Knock has her playing a very mentally disturbed and possibly dangerous babysitter... it's such an interesting role to see her in.

I think that if Marilyn had lived a bit longer, she would have started getting more dramatic, interesting roles... her final role as Roslyn in The Misfits might have been a good sort of transition, but by the time she was working on Some Like It Hot, she was an unpredictable and unprofessional actor to work with according to her costars (hungover or drunk on set, late, not knowing her lines), so her life was falling apart by the late '50's.
That she had a very tough life is indisputable. Her ability to keep it together through '56 or even '58 is surprising considering how many factors in her life were indicative of a needed period of rest. (Arguably, Miller should have been the harbor?) Sorry for the digression, but yes, the ability to continue her career in middle-age roles was there.

Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
Deadline USA
Battle Circus (Which would be the inspiration for MASH)
The African Queen
We're No Angels

And of course, the latter films noir, of which there are far too many to name....

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
That she had a very tough life is indisputable. Her ability to keep it together through '56 or even '58 is surprising considering how many factors in her life were indicative of a needed period of rest. (Arguably, Miller should have been the harbor?) Sorry for the digression, but yes, the ability to continue her career in middle-age roles was there.
I thought it was her 'bust up' with Miller that caused her downward spiral to really begin... I wonder what exactly happened between them to cause it to end - he seemed like the one person who saw how broken she was and how much potential she had (telling her she had the sort of scintillating energy that was needed for the stage). He saw past the image and saw a person... still, something went wrong between them rather quickly. I always associate the 1950's with 'towing the line' from a sociological stand point, that era being rather socially conservative... there's no room for people to have breakdown's or seek treatment in that sort of landscape, I suppose.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Hign Noon (1952) : a very atypical western for the time.Well directed, solidly acted. A true classic.
I would ague it was not that atypical. The narrative vehicle of showing the events in real time, is pretty unique even today. As far as a classic goes. The Academy agreed giving it four awards, and I believe it has also been selected preservation by the Library of Congress (That's when you really know you made it )

Oh and was remade as "Outland" an equally outstanding if not under appreciated science fiction film from the 80s

Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
  • Zip

Zip

Voyage to the center of the earth (1959): a charming version of Jules Verne novel, with the ever-impressive James Mason
Paths of Glory (1957): one of Kubrick's early movies, a potent anti-war movie
Hign Noon (1952) : a very atypical western for the time.Well directed, solidly acted. A true classic.
I still watch Journey once in a while, good movie. Bernard Hermann score too.

I like Fred Zinnemann but I'm with Howard Hawks and despise High Noon. I know all the theories about the picture and its deeper meaning but I'm just taking it for what goes up on the screen. Cooper should've just pinched Miller's guys and then bushwhacked Miller when he got off the train. Anyway, people in 19th Century rural towns were usually up for some violence. But Zinnemann's From Here to Eternity, The Nun's Story and Day of the Jackal are first rate.

I think Adolphe Menjou's character, General Broulard, is the real hero, so to speak, of Paths of Glory. He understands the nature of war and the precarious position France is in at war with, you know, Germany. He does what needs doing.

Regards

Mar 2019
Kansas
That's perhaps the most interesting element of the whole mythos about her...........She could actually act, and very well!

Similar History Discussions