Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Singing in the Rain
Forbidden Planet
Shane
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Them!
Yes, the Sci-Fi's. Forbidden Planet, based on The Tempest.
And Invasion, like the orig better than the two remakes I have seen.

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Yötebory Sveriya
Great topic! It might be my favourite decade for film:

1. Vertigo
2. Rear Window
3. North By Northwest
4. Sunset Boulevard
5. Dial M for Murder
6. The Man Who Knew Too Much
7. Roman Holiday
8. Strangers on a Train
9. Sabrina
10. The Vikings

I also really like Plan 9 From Outer Space, but would not DREAM f putting it anywhere near a top 10 list =P
To Catch a Thief, 20,000 Leagues, and I considered having one animated film with Lady and the Tramp (I think, haven't seen it since young childhood).

I also really like the 1940s. Films were less locked into formula back then, I think it was probably in the late 70s and 80s when they began really locking down formulas: Star Wars and Jaws were great films, but their massive success was a blow to creativity in the decades to follow - since the business end of film industry figured out the reusable formula which is still in use today.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I haven't watched many 50s movies, but from the ones I did, these are the ones I liked best:

Seven Samurai
Twelve Angry Men
Rear Window
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Quiet Man

If the year 1960 also counts, I have to mention Tunes of Glory. It's one of my favourite movies in general.

Jul 2010
Apu Trilogy

The Human Condition (but the last movie belongs to the next decade)

Wild Strawberries

Ugetsu

Breathless

Pillow Talk

The Seventh Seal

Floating Weeds

The Cranes are Flying

Spartacus

A Streetcar Named Desire

Elmer Gantry

The Wages of Fear

La Dolce Vita

I Vitelloni

The Burmese Harp

The River

The Golden Coach

Touch of Evil

Throne of Bloood

Julius Caesar

M. Hulot's Holiday

The Hidden Fortress

East of Eden

L'Avventura

Ben-Hur

Fires on the Plain

The Ten Commandments

Richard III

Ordet

Genghis Khan (1950) (part of the previous decade)

Baby Doll

La Strada

The Four Hundred Blows

On the Beach

Kanal

Rififi

The Seventh Samurai

Reactions: Zip

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Yötebory Sveriya
I'll also note that Vertigo is not only my favourite film of the 1950s, but my favourite film of all time. I probably watch it no less than at least once every 6-8 months or so. Rear Window is also in my top 10.

Reactions: Zip
Sep 2013
Chattanooga, TN
I would ague it was not that atypical. The narrative vehicle of showing the events in real time, is pretty unique even today. As far as a classic goes. The Academy agreed giving it four awards, and I believe it has also been selected preservation by the Library of Congress (That's when you really know you made it )

Oh and was remade as "Outland" an equally outstanding if not under appreciated science fiction film from the 80s
You said that you would argue that it is not that atypical. Then you listed reasons why it is atypical.

Nov 2016
Germany
Dir. Charles Laughton, starring Robert Mitchum:

Dir. Billy Wilder, starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon. Best comedy of all time.

Dir. John Huston, starring Louis Calhem and featuring Marilyn Monroe (first significant role).

Last edited:

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
Witness for the Prosecution is another good Billy Wilder picture. I love Wilder's noirs ---Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd., Ace in the Hole, and think they stand with the best pictures ever made. But man, I really dislike his comedies.It doesn't help when Jack Lemmon is in a movie; I didn't like that guy.