Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Hellenistic Era

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Late roman era

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters
Mar 2018
Almaty, Kazakhstan
My favourite has got to be the hellenistic, which is pretty obviouse by my posts. Its like a historical greek game of thrones , with the wars of the diodochi, syrian wars and struggle against rising rome, its awesome. It was arguably the most enlightened of the anicent period with historians like Polybios, Alkaios of Messene, Plutarch, Apian of Alexandria living in this period. Speaking of Alexandria, it held the worlds largest library at the time and was a wonder to behold. It is said that the library held between 40,000 to 400,000 scrolls.

The hellenistic period is awesome and my favourite period of ancient history, what is yours?

BTW im talking about mostly europe and the near/middle east. So india and china are different.

Last edited:

Duke Valentino

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Australia
In that case, I voted for late republic. Spawned a series of great generals, some of which include: Sertorius; Metellus Pius; Pompey; Labienus; Cassius Longinus; Antony; Caesar; Pompey Strabo etc. (pretty sure I've left some out, but oh well).

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I voted late Roman, although I did think it referred to late Roman empire at the time of my vote. Such an interesting, formative time for the entire continent.

Nov 2014
USA
The Hellenistic period is the most interesting for the civilization it produced with the Seleucids, the Ptolemies, the Attalids, the Antigonids and the leagues in mainland Greece, not only during its lifetime but also in its impact for later centuries extending also to the Byzantine period of the middle ages.

The late republican period in Rome is also interesting with the civil wars that happened and the wars with other people they conducted, which eventually produced the empire.

The Hellenic period of the 5th and 4th century is another one that is of a lot of interest with the Athenian, Spartan, Theban and eventually Macedonian domination.

Kookaburra Jack

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Rural Australia
My favourite period in ancient history is that covering the Christian Revolution of the 4th century, as described below by Arnaldo Momigliano.

It covers the Christian Emperors Constantine through to Theodosius I (324-381 CE) with the brief but powerfully informative interlude by the non Christian Julian. During this period the Greek NT + LXX Bible codices were manufactured in imperially sponsored scriptoria and distributed. Also during this period the Coptic Nag Hammadi Codices were manufactured and buried, possibly along with Pachomius.

Ammianus kicks in from 353 CE, but the period 325-352 CE looks a lot to me like a "black hole" where the evidence of events has been swept clean by the inexorable gravitas of later "Ecclesiastical Historians". Somewhere inside the black hole, near the centre and subjected to imperial "damnatio memoriae" is Arius of Alexandria, who according to Constantine "reproached, grieved, wounded and pained the [Christian] Church".

On 28 October 312
the Christians
suddenly and unexpectedly
found themselves victorious.
The victory was

"a miracle"

though opinions differed
as to the nature of the sign
vouchsafed to Constantine.
The winners became conscious
of their victory in a mood
of resentment and vengeance.

///

The revolution of the fourth century,
carrying with it a new historiography
will not be understood if we underrate
the determination, almost the fierceness,
with which the Christians
appreciated and exploited

"the miracle"

that had transformed Constantine
into a supporter, a protector,
and later a legislator
of the Christian church.

[My formatting of the following source]

Pagan and Christian Historiography
in the Fourth Century A.D.

* This essay first appeared in A. Momigliano, ed.,
The Conflict Between Paganism and Christianity in the Fourth Century,
The Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1963, pp. 79—99 (1)

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Since today I'm diving in deep in Ancient Egyptian history [in particular about the XVIII dynasty], I have to say Bronze Age as temporal reference, since that dynasty ruled Egypt in late Bronze Age.