Favourite Roman Emperor - All-Stars (27 BC - AD 641)

Who are your favourite emperors from the All-Stars list (up to two choices)?

• Total voters
Oct 2018
Sydney
What persuaded you to leave out Trajan?
While Trajan did do well in terms of raw votes, he ranked 3rd in his poll and I had decided to include only winners and runners-up. This was for the sake of an even spread of choices reflecting each of the polls conducted. But the Antonine/Severan poll was indeed by far the most popular poll, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Feb 2011
Scotland
That is quite the grin! I actually received an Aurelian coin from someone the other day as a gift. It includes his portrait with radiant crown and Restitut Orbis.
That's a very thoughtful present.
Is it silvered, with XX1 in the exergue?
Aurelian's coinage marked quite an upturn in quality from what had gone before.

Oct 2018
Sydney
That's a very thoughtful present.
Is it silvered, with XX1 in the exergue?
Aurelian's coinage marked quite an upturn in quality from what had gone before.
It no longer looks particularly silver, but it is an Antoninianus from 274/5. It doesn't have XXI, but rather the Greek equivalent 'ka'.

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Yötebory Sveriya
Julius Caesar (don't buy that, "bu-but he's not an Emperor crap! =D) and Septimius Severus is another curiously absent Emperor... although I thought Caracalla was more interesting - though I wouldn't want to necessarily live in his reign!

Anyway, from that list I'd have picked Aurelian, Diocletian, and Constantine - were I allowed three. My favourite figures in Roman history tend not to be Emperors; but they get the most press.

Oct 2018
Sydney
Julius Caesar (don't buy that, "bu-but he's not an Emperor crap! =D) and Septimius Severus is another curiously absent Emperor... although I thought Caracalla was more interesting - though I wouldn't want to necessarily live in his reign!

Anyway, from that list I'd have picked Aurelian, Diocletian, and Constantine - were I allowed three. My favourite figures in Roman history tend not to be Emperors; but they get the most press.
This poll constitutes the winners and runners-up of six previous polls :) If you'd like to vote for Severus or Caracalla, you can still do so in the Antonine/Severan poll that I link to in the first post within this thread. As for Caesar, I don't regard him as an emperor but I'm not currently in the mood for a debate haha. Aurelian, Diocletian and Constantine are great choices, although I do love the Republic as well.

Oct 2018
Sydney
That Augustus is winning this is completely unsurprising, but I'm pleasantly surprised that Aurelian is the clear runner-up in this selection. I think it speaks to how many users on this forum are either military buffs or coin enthusiasts.

Last edited: