Favourite Traditional Asian Clothes

Sephiroth

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
It is a Top Secret
By Asian I mean clothes from any culture on the Asian continent.

I think the Kimono (from Japan) looks the best on women (though I believe China had something similar in one of its dynasties).

As for men, I just go with the Deel (Mongols and Turkic peoples).

Last edited:
Jan 2015
EARTH
I think the Kimono (from Japan) looks the best on women (though I believe China had something similar in one of its dynasties).
You're referring to Hanfu/Hanbiuk/Honfuk (漢服) which was worn from at least the Shang period until the end of Ming which was then replaced with Manchu fashion in the Qing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanfu

I never got such clothings or why its neighbours adopted it. It does not seem very energy or material efficient. Pants or Shirts worn by most of the civilized world except the Greeks(although the culturally derivative Romans seem to be better by wearing shirts, methinks)/etc... seem to better clothes functionally and economically overall - which also brings the point of why the Greeks and their cultural derivatives wore similarly bad clothes too.

Minus the useless long sleeves, this is an example of much better efficient clothing. T-shirts and pants. Timeless classic.

Good ol' Persia before the Far East Asiatic and Islamic incursions. So I vote for the unadultered non-foreign Iranic-type clothings. Good functional efficient designs. I especially like their hats too.

The Ancient Xiongnu in the Ancient Mongolian steppes also seemed to wear something similarly efficient clothings.

Buttoned shirts, a hood jacket and baggy pants. I would expect baggy pants would be in the way of horse riding, but apparently not. Pure unadultered nomad. If dyed red, you would have the most terrifying Red Riding Hoods history has ever seen.

My next favorite would be the seductive libertines of Ancient India. When the weather is hot, clothes must come off!

Only the legs are wrapped like one would wrap the cream of a wedding cake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taknoyse94
Jan 2015
meo
I dont know about women's clothes but I think the Indian Sherwani is beautiful. It looks elegant, classy and practical.

The Korean Hanbok is ugly, at least for me. It looks like something a woman who is pregnant wears.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
In India men wear kurta with dhoti or pyjama. There are two ways of wrapping Dhoti. Women wear sari, shalwar kameez, ghaghra choli etc

Sephiroth

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
It is a Top Secret
You're referring to Hanfu/Hanbiuk/Honfuk (漢服) which it wore from at least the Shang period until the end of Ming which was then replaced with Manchu fashion in the Qing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanfu
Ah yes, Hanfu. I especially like the collars better and how it's just wrapped without using any buttons. I don't like any traditional East Asian clothes utilising buttons. Most Deels also utilise buttons, I prefer the ones without. On men, the Deel is then basically just a Hanfu, without sagging sleeves, I guess

Feb 2015
UK
In Pakistan, as well as Afghanistan the Shalwar Kameez rules. Almost 95% of men wear Shalwar Kameez. Although over the last two decades it seems to have been adopted in large parts of India and Bangladesh as well where the Saree used to be king.

Shalwar Kameez is the ethnic dresss of most of the peoples of Pakistan. In Pakistan some of the Frontier Army Units even use Shalwar Kameez as uniform ...

Pakistan International Airlines have used the Shalwar Kameez through decades with each decade getting a makeover. Models wearing versions from differant decades.

From 1980s

1950s

1960s

High-end: PIA on the cusp of fashion makeover | Live News Pakistan

Northern Light Infantry also prefer Shalwar Kameez.

And I hate saying this but so do the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Last edited: