Federalist Papers on Tyrany

Jul 2019
California
I have searched the federalist papers finding 38 occurrences of tyranny and its variations with the goal of understanding the purpose of each reference. I need help with Federalist 16 where Publius writes:

Attempts of this kind would not often be made with levity or rashness, because they could seldom be made without danger to the authors, unless in cases of a tyrannical exercise of the federal authority.

My suspicion for “Attempts of this kind” refer to the individual states electing to ignore some federal directive. There is little confidence there. I cannot figure out to whom the “authors” refer. Your thoughts are solicited.

Jul 2019
California
It was posed in the wrong forum and I was unable to detect a delete.
My apologies for that.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For the record, you can ask the moderators here to move a thread for you.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I cannot figure out to whom the “authors” refer.
The paragraph is discussing the possible rise of a faction that wishes to defy federal authority. "Authors" refers to the members of this faction. Publius is saying these types of usurpations or rebellions are dangerous and not likely to succeed. The authors of this movement would be placing themselves in great danger by defying the authority of the national government.