FIFA honors China's Linzi as cradle of earliest form of football

geb

Jul 2011
western Europe
No they are just as you describe them tricks, nothing more.
only according to biased, stolid interpretations...

I don't suppose the ability to tackle, have spatial awareness and an ability to read a game are important?
I never said they weren't

Any evidence that Asian players are not only more skilful then Westerners (I suppose that must include African and American players) but are also more powerful and Athletic?
Yes, like the video I showed you ; no other players can ever emulate that level of skill.

Regarding power and athleticism, African players rank first; but broadly speaking, if one takes into account every soccer quality needed, Asian players are on average the best soccer players.

Sorry is this a typo? you can not actually believe that the most gifted players don't excel at their chosen sport?
Far from always: e.g. Maradona or Wayne Rooney - neither have this physical proclivity or innate soccer ability - only their mental strength and determination carries them to success.

geb

Jul 2011
western Europe
3. Really, you want to argue that Asia plays the best football? So how many world cups does asia have? How many world club cups has asia won?
... the future will tell ;-)

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
this doesn't change that the contemporary Laws of Football and format were European.

the lengths people go to undermine European dominance - when sometimes it's justified- is funny.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
only according to biased, stolid interpretations...

I never said they weren't

Yes, like the video I showed you ; no other players can ever emulate that level of skill.

Regarding power and athleticism, African players rank first; but broadly speaking, if one takes into account every soccer quality needed, Asian players are on average the best soccer players.

Far from always: e.g. Maradona or Wayne Rooney - neither have this physical proclivity or innate soccer ability - only their mental strength and determination carries them to success.

The only world-class player I'd argue at the moment is Son (from Asia at least). I cannott think of many other player in other positions who are deemed amongst the best of their positions (from Asia).

Asia is still the least developed footballing continent, and will take some time to catch-up with Europe, South America and Africa. Africa has produced far more top players amongst the best European clubs than Asia ever has. There are no Asian equivalents of Drogba, Kanu, Eto'o, Weah, Okocha, or Essien.

Reactions: Iraq Bruin

geb

Jul 2011
western Europe
The only world-class player I'd argue at the moment is Son (from Asia at least). I cannott think of many other player in other positions who are deemed amongst the best of their positions (from Asia).

Asia is still the least developed footballing continent, and will take some time to catch-up with Europe, South America and Africa. Africa has produced far more top players amongst the best European clubs than Asia ever has. There are no Asian equivalents of Drogba, Kanu, Eto'o, Weah, Okocha, or Essien.
Georgia is a future rugby power (at least according to what a lot of people suspect) ... eventhough they have not yet achieved any major results.

1. the earliest records of rugby-like activities are from Georgia (i.e. Lelo burti)
2. the earliest records of soccer-like activities are from Asia (earliest: Burmese Chinlone)

So why should e.g. Burma in no way be apprehended as a future football power ?

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Georgia is a future rugby power (at least according to what a lot of people suspect) ... eventhough they have not yet achieved any major results.

1. the earliest records of rugby-like activities are from Georgia (i.e. Lelo burti)
2. the earliest records of soccer-like activities are from Asia (earliest: Burmese Chinlone)

So why should e.g. Burma in no way be apprehended as a future football power ?
You're not making sense.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Having unrelated “alien” ball game in a countries history does not pre-ordain them to future powerhouse status at a different foreign game.

Any country can, regardless of preference of sports, become a powerhouse at soccer provided they
1- foster a culture of watching, playing and enjoying the game.
2- spend money on fostering elite sportsmen, professional leagues, fairplay.
3-suffice to time to grow the sport.

USA will be a bigger Rugby nation than Georgia. More people. More money. More time playing the game.

England has a history of martial arts, including the quarter staff. That doesn’t mean England will become a powerhouse at Naginata.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Soccer-like = “not soccer” having a long history of playing something that isn’t soccer won’t help you be good at soccer.

Rugby-like = not rugby. Having a long history playing something that isn’t rugby wont help you be good at rugby.

Why don’t Syrians and Iranians dominate heavyweight boxing tournaments? Oldest evidence of something like boxing comes from there...but the most of the greatest boxers ever are US, British or Russian.

England should, by this logic, dominate ping pong... it invented it, earliest known ping pong game was in Victorian England. Yet China-Japan-Korea dominate, but then in Japan there is a ping pong club in every school.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Asia is severely underdeveloped.
Japan is probably the strongest, it has the most professional league, little corruption, mostly native players.
S.Korea - not far behind Japan.
Biggest worries there are the popularity of baseball.

China- bit of a joke. Some big money spent on past their prime foreigners looking for retirement bonus, cheating and bribery rife.

N.Korea- has a league, not sure if the players are pros or military personnel. No idea what goes on behind the scenes.

After that... Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, Phillipenes, maybe Philippines and Thailand are rising, but the others are very poor countries with more pressing concerns than developing pro sports leagues.