Finland against USSR (1939-1945)

May 2017
France
Hello dear specialits.Did the Finlandeses troops utilized white international brigades (swedish,italians etc...) like Franco.

Jun 2017
maine
Hello dear specialits.Did the Finlandeses troops utilized white international brigades (swedish,italians etc...) like Franco.
Yes--in 1939 a brigade made up of Scandinavians, French, Estonians, Hungarians and British. Eventually, this brigade was joined by some 600 Americans and Canadians. Perhaps the most important result--at least for the Scandinavians--is that it was a "trial run" for the fight against German occupation.

Jan 2009
Wikipedia is a good start for this:
Foreign support of Finland in the Winter War - Wikipedia
Swedish Volunteer Corps (Winter War) - Wikipedia
Finnish Infantry Regiment 200 - Wikipedia

Swedish and Danish volunteers also participated in the Continuation War (1941-44), as did some Ingrians. The biggest group of foreign volunteers were the Estonians. There were some Norwegians as well, but I am not sure about their status... it looks more that they were fighting under Germany rather than in the Finnish army.

According to the Finnish Wikipedia page: Jatkosodan vapaaehtoiset – Wikipedia
during the Continuation War, the volunteers were:
3273 Estonians
1694 Swedes
777 Ingrians
204 Danes

This page had some additional information (the above figures were taken from this page):
Veteraanien perintö - Itsenäinen Isänmaa - Ulkomaalaiset vapaaehtoiset

Winter War:
~8000 Swedes (8260 according to the SVC link above)
~1000 Danes (of which 600 in the SVC according to the link)
~700 Norwegians (725 according to the SVC link above although the Foreign Support link states that only 125 of these made it to Finland before peace was declared)
341 Hungarians (Foreign support link states that 25000 volunteered, but only 350 were selected, and in the end, 346 sent, as well as some individuals making their own arrangements. I am not sure why there is a discrepancy of numbers.)
350 Finnish-Americans
228 British (including, I might add, the great late Sir Christopher Lee)

In the Continuation War, there were additionally over 1000 Norwegians (but like said, enlisted by Germany, not Finland), about 1000 Soviet volunteers (of Fenno-Ugric background) and 74 of other nationalities.

Last edited:
Jun 2017
maine
Wikipedia is a good start for this:
Foreign support of Finland in the Winter War - Wikipedia
Swedish Volunteer Corps (Winter War) - Wikipedia
Finnish Infantry Regiment 200 - Wikipedia

Swedish and Danish volunteers also participated in the Continuation War (1941-44), as did some Ingrians. The biggest group of foreign volunteers were the Estonians. There were some Norwegians as well, but I am not sure about their status... it looks more that they were fighting under Germany rather than in the Finnish army.

According to the Finnish Wikipedia page: Jatkosodan vapaaehtoiset – Wikipedia
during the Continuation War, the volunteers were:
3273 Estonians
1694 Swedes
777 Ingrians
204 Danes
Over 700 Norwegians volunteered and fought with the Swedes. In 1939, Quisling (as leader of the National Union Party) spoke in favor of occupation by Germany but the invasion did not come until 1940 (after the end of the Winter War in Finland). I believe that it may have been the Swedes who sent the most volunteers: on to 8000 men.

Last edited:
Jan 2009
Over 700 Norwegians volunteered and fought with the Swedes. In 1939, Quisling (as leader of the National Union Party) spoke in favor of occupation by Germany but the invasion did not come until 1940 (after the end of the Winter War in Finland).
Yes, I was referring to the 1000+ Norwegians during the Continuation War (1941-44). They seem to have been under German command, rather than enlisting in the Finnish army.

Jun 2017
maine
In time, there was no overlap between the Winter War and the Continuation War. During the Winter War, Norway was precariously independent but, in the Continuation War, Norway was an occupied country. Its fighting men were divided among those under German control, the Free Norwegians and the Underground.

Jun 2017
maine
The title of this topic may be a bit misleading. The Winter War--which included international brigades--was from 1939 til 1940 only. As far as I know, there were no international brigades in Finland after the armistice of 13 March 1940. Fighting in Finland after that date was a different matter. Finland--while not actually an Axis state--was supported by the Germans against the Russian invaders (the old thing: "the enemy of my enemy..."). During the Winter War, the Finnish government expressly refused to receive German volunteers.