first thousands of years of human history after the Neolithic era or beginning of civilization was matriarchal?

May 2015
Texas
Hi, my question is the title of this thread. This question was told by a tranny or transgendered woman x friend of mine who I wont name where they discussed on a instant messaging site about this subject in great detail was were they claimed the first early civilizations were actually controlled by a matriarchy or matriarchally run, then at some point the patriarchy took over. So I came here to find out of it is true or lagit. I am thinking this question probably belongs in the philosophy section of this forum but I am not sure I just picked either here or in the philosophy section.

Apr 2019
Ireland
There was certainly a lot more weight towards the worship of female gods like the 'earth mother'. According to Fernand Braudel this deity was important and was still revered even after the advent of male dominated societies which appeared after metal working arrived. The 'earth mother' has been recognised in the archaeological record by the prevalence of the clay figurines representing fertility, the clay Venus's. As for female controlled societies, I'm not sure, they were certainly more egalitarian, however, I believe there are theories about the Minos being a Woman...

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Iron Age Japanese society was certainly matriarchal. This can be seen in their creation myths, where a female goddess (Amaterasu) is the chief deity. Amaterasu was probably a deified shaman or priestess. We know that the Japanese state around 200AD was ruled by a "Queen", and women were historically the go-between between gods and humans.

Aug 2018
london
Hi, my question is the title of this thread. This question was told by a tranny or transgendered woman x friend of mine who I wont name where they discussed on a instant messaging site about this subject in great detail was were they claimed the first early civilizations were actually controlled by a matriarchy or matriarchally run, then at some point the patriarchy took over. So I came here to find out of it is true or lagit. I am thinking this question probably belongs in the philosophy section of this forum but I am not sure I just picked either here or in the philosophy section.
The archaeologist Marija Gimbutas argued that the Old European civilization and megalithic culture which existed in Europe in the neolithic and copper age were matriarchal or gynocentric, and that these societies were taken over or replaced by patriarchal Indo-European cultures. The Old European and megalithic cultures worshipped mother goddesses whilst the primary deity of the Indo-Europeans was a Sky Father.

Last edited:

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
The archaeologist Marija Gimbutas argued that the Old European civilization and megalithic culture which existed in Europe in the neolithic and copper age were matriarchal or gynocentric, and that these societies were taken over or replaced by patriarchal Indo-European cultures. The Old European and megalithic cultures worshipped mother goddesses whilst the primary deity of the Indo-Europeans was a Sky Father.

God in Chinese is Lăotiānyě - literally Old heavenly grandfather.

Sep 2014
Texas
In Egypt the land was male and the sky was female. I've never taken them to be matriarachal. Truly primitive, pastoral/hunting people have always seemed more balanced in their views of male and female. I certainly wouldn't want to be a male devotee of Cybele.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
There were women Gods. That doesn't make them matriarchal.

Perhaps, religions with only a male God like Islam are traditionally more patriarchal than old Europe. Catholicism has Mary and other saints.

Similar History Discussions