Flood the Sahara

Jun 2015
UK
Why not flood parts of the Sahara?

Countries like Chad, Mali, even Algeria and Tunisia to some extent, haven't progressed economically to a high degree.

If a canal can be built that has a continuous link to the Atlantic Ocean or Mediterranean Sea, then it could lead to arable lands, and less need for migration to Europe.

Jan 2017
UK

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
If a canal can be built that has a continuous link to the Atlantic Ocean or Mediterranean Sea, then it could lead to arable lands, and less need for migration to Europe.
You do realise both of those bodies are full of salt water, right? Ever tried watering arable crops with salt water?

Last edited:

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I once heard of a plan to channel water from the lake above Aswan Dam into the Qatara Depression thereby creating a second Nile and increasing Egypt's arable land. It seemed plausible to me but expensive.

Another plan I once heard was to channel from the Mediterranian to the Dead Sea. Along the way the water would be used to cool Israel's nuclear reactor. No problem with salt water since the Dead Sea is also salt water. The channel was supposed to solve the problem of the Dead Sea drying up, but I don't know how salt water was going to fix that problem. The Dead Sea is drying up because too much fresh water is being pumped out of its tributaries. The tributary water only becomes salty when it reaches the Dead Sea. Just adding salt water to the Dead Sea would not create more fresh water without expensive desalination.

Mar 2018
UK

Similar History Discussions