Forgive us America

Oct 2019
Vancouver, BC, Canada
On behalf of Canada I'd like to express our sincerest apologies for burning your WhiteHouse in 1814. Please forgive us America. America is a superior Nation in every way.

The Founding Fathers wrote, "Canada acceding to this confederation, and adjoining in the measures of the united States, shall be admitted into, and entitled to all the advantages of this union; but no other colony shall be admitted into the same, unless such admission be agreed to by nine States." in the original Articles of Confederation XI

(later replaced by the Constitution)

Please make this happen!

Reactions: Futurist

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Wasn’t actually Canadians that did that, it was British Army troops... most of the Canadians were militia and unable to cross the border.

Troops at burning of Washington.

Royal Marines
Colonial Marines (Black troops)
4th, 44th, 21st, 85th
And Royal Artillery/Royal Marine Artillery.

Nothing to apologize for.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The British in Canada co-opted the Quebecois colonists to fight for them
they also had 100.000 loyalists from the revolting provinces to bolster their ranks

There were no Canadians at the time , the Canadian identity is a product of the mid 19th century .
It seems to have started in the Anglo Maritime provinces who had less new immigrants and more of the old pre 1812 stock

Reactions: Futurist

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
The above is true, but they were not actively deployed in the Bladensburg campaign or the subsequent raid and burning of Washington.

Canadian troops were mainly kept in Canada for defensive operations, though they partook in the odd border raid I believe, especially in 1812-3. By 1814 though the British had enough troops to launch stateside operations while leaving the Canadians to defend their homes.... which as militia, is what most of them were signed up for anyway.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
On behalf of Canada I'd like to express our sincerest apologies for burning your WhiteHouse in 1814. Please forgive us America. America is a superior Nation in every way.

The Founding Fathers wrote, "Canada acceding to this confederation, and adjoining in the measures of the united States, shall be admitted into, and entitled to all the advantages of this union; but no other colony shall be admitted into the same, unless such admission be agreed to by nine States." in the original Articles of Confederation XI

(later replaced by the Constitution)

Please make this happen!
One of the oddests first posts that I saw here, that has more to do with current political ideas than with history.

Anyway, welcome to Historum!

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
Could the OP be a troll thread?

If anyone wanted to cause arguments between the Americans and Canadians, while also knowing misrepresenting an historical event*, the OP is exactly what would be posted!

*If you know the white house was burned down in the war of 1812, then you know who did it.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Perhaps intended as a joke about ludicrous apologies about past actions made by people who did not carry them out to people who did not suffer them?

Reactions: sailorsam

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Could the OP be a troll thread?

If anyone wanted to cause arguments between the Americans and Canadians, while also knowing misrepresenting an historical event*, the OP is exactly what would be posted!

*If you know the white house was burned down in 1812, then you know who did it.
With all the respect to the first poster, that was my first idea... and second... and third...

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Don't sweat burning the White House. General Jackson paid the British Army back in Spades down at Chalmette. To those who don't recognize this place, think Battle of New Orleans.

Pruitt