Forts in and around Kentucky.

Sep 2019
Kentucky
I know a lot about the main three forts in Kentucky, Boonesborough, Harrod, and Logan but are there anymore that are worth looking in to that are in the state or in surrounding states?

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
I know a lot about the main three forts in Kentucky, Boonesborough, Harrod, and Logan but are there anymore that are worth looking in to that are in the state or in surrounding states?
I suppose it depends on your objective... are you interested in frontier forts? Or forts in the Revolutionary war in general? Or forts that are still standing and can be visited today? There were key forts in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, etc used in the French and Indian War and Revolutionary war. Some were permanent forts like Fort Pitt, built near the remains of Fort Duquesne; or Fort Clinton and Montgomery along the Hudson river with their deadly river chain; some were like the fort commanded by Ichabod Alden at Cherry Valley in New York where it was more of a temporary building surrounded by wood palisades, which were solid enough to shield those inside from the massacre happening in the town.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Cincinnati had Fort Washington, Point Pleasant had Fort Randolf, Wheeling had Fort Henry. All very important in their day.

Reactions: Niobe
Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Ruddles Station and Martin Station made famous during Bird's campaign.
Also Bryan's Station and Kenton's Station. There were numerous small lesser known forts/stations.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
After Boone's court martial trial (held at Logan's Station, he left Booneborough and founded Boone Station also called New Boone Station.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
After Boone's court martial trial (held at Logan's Station, he left Booneborough and founded Boone Station also called New Boone Station.
Court Martial, etc? Boone had 'all the fun' after he left Pennsylvania (his family homestead is down the road from me). Somehow being a rebel among PA Quakers isn't as flashy as being a frontiersman, a fort builder, etc. :lol:

Sep 2019
Kentucky
I suppose it depends on your objective... are you interested in frontier forts? Or forts in the Revolutionary war in general? Or forts that are still standing and can be visited today? There were key forts in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, etc used in the French and Indian War and Revolutionary war. Some were permanent forts like Fort Pitt, built near the remains of Fort Duquesne; or Fort Clinton and Montgomery along the Hudson river with their deadly river chain; some were like the fort commanded by Ichabod Alden at Cherry Valley in New York where it was more of a temporary building surrounded by wood palisades, which were solid enough to shield those inside from the massacre happening in the town.
Frontier forts. Standing or not isn't relevant. I know Fort Logan in Stanford, KY is being rebuilt but I'm just researching, an actual visit isn't what I'm looking for.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Court Martial, etc? Boone had 'all the fun' after he left Pennsylvania (his family homestead is down the road from me). Somehow being a rebel among PA Quakers isn't as flashy as being a frontiersman, a fort builder, etc. :lol:
When he was captured in 1778 while hunting for a salt making party, he convinced the other salt makers to surrender without a fight as they were outnumbered and would be slaughtered. He was later accused of cowardice and treason by some of his neighbors and remained so bitter about it he left the area after being exonerated.

Reactions: Niobe
Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Frontier forts. Standing or not isn't relevant. I know Fort Logan in Stanford, KY is being rebuilt but I'm just researching, an actual visit isn't what I'm looking for.
I went to the reconstruction of Boonesborough this year, it was worth a look, but I was disappointed that it had been made about twice as big as the original which to me kind of defeats the purpose of a reconstruction. The original site is about half a mile away and was more interesting to me. I just really wanted to see the geography so I could relate it to the historical accounts.