France decides to hold on to Northern Algeria whatever the cost?

Jan 2014
Rus
Still, AFAIK, Europeans weren't too active in regards to playing around with the demographics of their colonies. For instance, I think that Oran was much more European in the 1910s than it was in the 1950s or 1960s simply because France apparently didn't bother regulating Muslim migration into Oran.
I dont enough know history of French Algeria, but i am sure that local regulations against natives existed in Oran in the beginig.

Situation was good in Algeria and other European colonies before WWI. There were no need in extra measures. It appeared after WWI. But Europeans didnt do nothing. This quite unclear for me. But they didnt do nothing even when Hitler begun to arm. These were some other unusual Euopeans )) Not the same as before ))

Last edited:
Jan 2014
Rus
...Hongkong and Singapore are other examples of colonies that managed to survive except Israel. Here Britain created westernized folks which didnt want to nativize back.

I consider South Africa as successful example too. It is very close to Israel's. The main difference that Israel is getting assistance from the outside but SA was getting only pressure. (And Israel are some more flexible, SA was too hard)

So France could manage Israel/South Africa or Hongkong/Singapore way in coastal towns of Algeria. The stumbling block is that they would be under permanent pressure from remaining Algeria with USSR and USA behind their backs. France appeared not to be ready for such struggle.

...You wrote about plans to make Algeria uniform part of France. I think it was the last straw. Portuguese announced the same when were loosing there colonies. But this was crazy, i agree with you.

May 2014
SoCal
...Hongkong and Singapore are other examples of colonies that managed to survive except Israel. Here Britain created westernized folks which didnt want to nativize back.

I consider South Africa as successful example too. It is very close to Israel's. The main difference that Israel is getting assistance from the outside but SA was getting only pressure. (And Israel are some more flexible, SA was too hard)

So France could manage Israel/South Africa or Hongkong/Singapore way in coastal towns of Algeria. The stumbling block is that they would be under permanent pressure from remaining Algeria with USSR and USA behind their backs. France appeared not to be ready for such struggle.

...You wrote about plans to make Algeria uniform part of France. I think it was the last straw. Portuguese announced the same when were loosing there colonies. But this was crazy, i agree with you.
France actually made northern Algeria a part of France back in 1848--as in, a whopping 114 years before it finally left Algeria! Also, Yes, France could have tried creating pro-European outposts on the Algerian coast and keeping those while letting the rest of Algeria become independent. A population exchange could have also been done as a part of this. Of course, as you said, such a move could still require France to keep a large military force behind in this area in order to protect it from Algerian revanchism and France would also have to deal with US and Soviet pressure to complete the decolonization of Algeria. What was not beneficial for France is that Algeria is literally a sea away from France; had Algeria actually bordered (European) France, holding onto parts of Algeria would have been much, much easier and more logistically convenient. This is why Israel actually has a realistic chance at keeping a lot of the West Bank settlements in a final peace deal with the Palestinians whereas France found it easier to simply abandon all of Algeria and resettle the pieds-noirs in France. France should have also taken the harkis (all of them) with it on its way out of Algeria, though.