France's Natural Borders

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The Irish ministry of culture is trying to re-create a Gaelic speaking country
but the local stubbornly prefer to speak English and Gaelic is on governmental life support

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
The British and latterly Welsh devolved governments have actually made some effort to support the Welsh language, which has helped to slow its decline, but it is only used as a common means of everyday communication in certain regions, in the west and especially north-west.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Even Welsh-speaking Wales (which I have lived in) is not really that different from any other part of the UK, and in recently moving from Wessex to the Welsh Marches I have felt hardly any difference at all.
I went to a Welsh chapel funeral a few weeks ago. The singing raised the roof, like nothing I’ve heard in a comparable one in England.

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
At the time of the French revolution the culture of Alsace was basically German, now it is basically French; the Alsatian dialect has been in steady decline since the beginning of the last century, and the rate of decline has increased in the last 30 years. I'm all in favour of regional peculiarities, but the culture of European countries is alas becoming increasingly homogeneous. Even Welsh-speaking Wales (which I have lived in) is not really that different from any other part of the UK, and in recently moving from Wessex to the Welsh Marches I have felt hardly any difference at all. One can largely discount tourist stuff and the folklorish stuff that is a hobby for the weekend, rather like battlefield re-eanctments. Cornish is still a dead language even if people play at talking it.
Under a thick french coating, you will find in Alsace more of old German culture then in Germany.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
Under a thick french coating, you will find in Alsace more of old German culture then in Germany.
Riesling braised sauerkraut. Seriously if I wanted to experience German culture, I'd rather visit Alsace than Germany. The Prussians were more into uniformity than the French., not to mention many f the old German cities were destroyed in WW2.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
In Munich when asking why my pock knuckle only had a smallish serving of sauerkraut ,
the waiter looked at my with a thin smile and said that Bavaria wasn't Alsace

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
Riesling braised sauerkraut. Seriously if I wanted to experience German culture, I'd rather visit Alsace than Germany. The Prussians were more into uniformity than the French., not to mention many f the old German cities were destroyed in WW2.
Good post. I am surprised that an outsider has such an insight.