Franks in Britain

Apr 2017
Cologne
I mentioned the carnival in Cologne to a woman serving at a german christmas market in Leeds in the UK. She was not amused. She was from Düsseldorf
Yeah, it is sad.
I went around the world I got constantly asked questions about Germany, Europe – America sometimes - and all the time I try to be as accurate and respectful as possible.
You have no idea how many times I defended Israel at places you should be careful against nonsense.

But yeah. They are like that, because they do not have much.
That is like if Burkina-Faso goes against …. France or Germany in a soccer competition. That competition is all they got.
Next time - shake her hand and say: "I am so happy for you, that you made it out of there. Welcome to humanity. The world is yours. Prosper."
Or if they say where they are from you go: "Aah! From The Forbidden City!"
And should they shout at you with their charming attitude: "There is nothing forbidden!"
You explain, that once you wanted to drive from Cologne to them, but their name did not show up on any street-signs, that is why you thought it is The Forbidden City.

(The reason why that is – is because we only put important cities on our street signs, where people want to go. A totally logical reason every normal person can understand. Or would you put Hickawokkawood on your street signs between London and Birmingham or whatever is next to London? Who comes from Hickawokkawood knows when to leave the high-way, as somehow they made it out of there, right? And who else wants to go there?)

Same with carnival. No person form Leverkusen or Bonn would be like that. I bet not even from Koblenz. There is zero self-awareness. We play constantly in the second league with Cologne - and nobody gets onto the idea that we are a top Bundesliga club. But they are like this and we have to deal with this, it is sad, but it is like it is.
That feud is really one way, as there are some standards you have to fulfill to compete (so a little bit more than some Colognian bought a house somewhere...)

But I truly think you two guys know such stuff... so fun it is...

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
That feud is really one way, as there are some standards you have to fulfill to compete (so a little bit more than some Colognian bought a house somewhere...)

But I truly think you two guys know such stuff... so fun it is...
I did notice in München that they stole Viva Colonia and sang it as Viva Bavaria. I thought it was funny.

Apr 2017
Cologne
I did notice in München that they stole Viva Colonia and sang it as Viva Bavaria. I thought it was funny.
I got some info for you and I bet it will change your perception on this:

We do have two genres:
One category is carnival songs (pop-music) and the other are regional songs (modern folk-music). Both are played on carnival.
NOW – because that became a tourist attraction – Germans understand the refrain and that resulted in misconceptions (this is no joke):

Water of Cologne – song about water-pollution of the Rhine river by chemical companies
German understanding: The Colognian beer is great.

We leave the cathedral in Cologne – song about nonsense funding of city-constructions
German understanding: The party goes on in Cologne.

Drink one beer with us – song about empathy and helping the ones in need
German understanding: Do not stop the party.

But carnival songs – bring in the money. That is what the market demands, but there is a language problem. This is why the carnival-songs became more and more shallow and simplified so that every idiot can sing along.
And that band that made that Viva Colonia song mastered that art.
They took their tunes multiple times from cross the world and put different lyrics on that:
One road (Wolftunes), When Johnny comes marching home (P.Souza), Highland Cathedral (Rover/Korb) do all have a cover-version by them.

Viva Colonia is a cover as well of a traditional old German/Italian folk-song.
The original is about a daughter that goes into the world and gets pregnant despite all warnings.
Message: Don't fall naive in love with every idiot, because the world is tough.

Traditional folk-music is in Germany not popular, that is why nobody knows that song.
But that original lyrics are a little more deep than: Viva my-place, because we party! Yay!
There is a reason why they made that decision (see above).

So if they sing their version of that pop-song in Bavaria – from a Colognian band, that rips off tunes all the time for decades, even the one we talk about - there is nothing funny about that.
It is not even illegal because the song is in the public domain. You only need to change the lyrics and you can sing it cross the globe:

Da sin' wir dabei, dat is pri-ma:
Ho-re, Ma-lay-sia!
Kita suka makan, cerah, cinta dan yum cha;
Alez, mon amie, la fete commence, celebrons la vie et danse;

(bass choir)
Hor-ray, Bri-tan-ia! From Alba to Aus-tralia,
my lyubim - zhizn, - lyubov - i konech-no vod-ka!
(shout):Vamos, gente! Todos a juntarse – (y) abra-zar la vida!

That is what this is. That is why I said:
What you do know as carnival is pop. Disneyland. A tourist attraction. It is about money. A show that is put on for you/the stranger. That is not what we understand as carnival.

Similar History Discussions