Fraxinetum - Fraxinet - garde-freinet - need info on the state of the fort before the moorish invasion

Jun 2019
chilliwack bc canada
I think there is a full consensus on the origin of Frejus name, as Pliny the Elder calls it "Forum Iulii Octavanorum colonia ".
not denying its original name - it is well known - i am disputing the contraction of "forum iulii" into fréjus as opposed to naming a newer section based on fraxinus - the old section is still sometimes referred to as forum julii

frey, fray, and fré are all the same sound in french - the rendering into french for fréjus is closer to fraxinus than freynet or frassinet

Jan 2011
FRANCE
Fréjus was written "Fréjuls" until the end of the 18th century, which is obviously a contraction of "Forum Julii" and not of "fraxinus".
https://books.google.fr/books?id=IoFaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA518&lpg=PA518&dq=fréjuls&source=bl&ots=SnxQYLPdur&sig=ACfU3U1RcSp2KMmW4jTb2y7NcgWiRgXZGw&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwmObmp5_jAhWux4UKHWPOBLgQ6AEwAHoECAgQAQ

When studying etymology, actual sound of the names are irrelevant. Which is important are the former names given before to the settlements. You mentioned before "Le col de Fréjus" in the Alps, saying "this cannot be a coincidence". In fact it is a coincidence, as the name of "Fréjus" in ""Col de Fréjus" comes from "Mons de Frejurio", then "Fréjour" , "Fréjoux" and finally "Fréjus"" . In this case Fréjus doesn't come from "fraxinus" but from "juris" meaning "forêt" (forest") like in "Jura".

Jun 2019
chilliwack bc canada
Fréjus was written "Fréjuls" until the end of the 18th century, which is obviously a contraction of "Forum Julii" and not of "fraxinus".
https://books.google.fr/books?id=IoFaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA518&lpg=PA518&dq=fréjuls&source=bl&ots=SnxQYLPdur&sig=ACfU3U1RcSp2KMmW4jTb2y7NcgWiRgXZGw&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwmObmp5_jAhWux4UKHWPOBLgQ6AEwAHoECAgQAQ

When studying etymology, actual sound of the names are irrelevant. Which is important are the former names given before to the settlements. You mentioned before "Le col de Fréjus" in the Alps, saying "this cannot be a coincidence". In fact it is a coincidence, as the name of "Fréjus" in ""Col de Fréjus" comes from "Mons de Frejurio", then "Fréjour" , "Fréjoux" and finally "Fréjus"" . In this case Fréjus doesn't come from "fraxinus" but from "juris" meaning "forêt" (forest") like in "Jura".
thats some interesting research there - i'm not an etymologist but i'm pretty sure that when a word is rendered from say latin to french, the sound is very important, in fact it is all important as it determines how the derived word will be spelled

but i am not disagreeing with the correction regarding fréjus - sounds reasonable, i'll have to look into it further, thanks

Jan 2011
FRANCE
I was not sufficiently clear in my former message. What I wanted to say is that the sound of the present name is not important. What is important is the fist known name.