Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mongke

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Suleiman

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Feb 2018
US
Mongke expanded from the Syr Darya to Syria, subjugated Yunnan, Korea, Tibet, Kashmir and made Dai Viet a tributary. Note that Ogedei had already conquered Iran to the Zagros and Caucasia, but Iran and Afghanistan to the Syr Darya was treated as a military-governed frontier zone until Mongke.

His main achievement was centralizing Mongol power to a new level and maximizing their cultural fusion and human movements for innovation. The potential Mongol manpower has been estimated at 1-1.5M, much higher than under previous Khans. When he died, the Mongols had three invasions in progress (Syria and Egypt/Poland/Song China) that got aborted during the succession crisis, so there was a lot of 'loose' territory taken that was never solidified.

Mongke only ruled for seven years under very unusual circumstances, so it's odd to put him in a comparison. His role seemed more political and cultural than military since he ruled for so short, but he did have one of the finest generals of his era as a tutor in the empire in his youth (at Genghis Khan's order).

Suleiman stands out to me here.

Oct 2018
Sydney
Mongke only ruled for seven years under very unusual circumstances, so it's odd to put him in a comparison. His role seemed more political and cultural than military since he ruled for so short, but he did have one of the finest generals of his era as a tutor in the empire in his youth (at Genghis Khan's order).
Which general?

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Sorry to be a spoilsport but I just find these sort of questions infantile. Still, I guess they start debate!

Jun 2013
Connecticut
Pardon my ignorance but how do you want them rated? What's the criteria? Maybe a better word is what's the "base line" used to compare?