French emigrants in USA (1792-1800)

May 2017
France
And how was the life in Texas in the years 1820-1825 ? It must be very hard,with the températures,the medical problems (level of mortality like in Algiers at the same moment i think) economical activities,problems of water,snakes etc...

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
For a while, years ago, I thought a woman with the Noailles last name was in my tree. From what I gathered from other trees at the time, two sisters of that family fled France and headed to New York. There was a storm at sea, and the burly sailors threw heavy things overboard including a chest with the sisters' valuable assets. They didn't have much money, but had all sorts of household treasures, silver things, etc. So the sisters, being resourceful, worked in a cafe or nightspot singing and dancing French songs, etc. One of the sisters, Marie Noailles d'Ayen, married a Lee, that at the time of my research, I thought I was related to. But it turned out to be another Lee line that I'm connected to. Actually, they all had the same paternal Lee ancestor back in England. The other sister ended up in a Dutch town up the Hudson River a ways. They knew LaFayette, who advised them to go to America.
After looking more closely, I'm no longer certain of the Lee line into which Marie married. The Lee name seems to have been "a dime a dozen" in the colonies. Trying to connect them to other lines is difficult back that far in time.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Following the end of the Napoleonic Wars some of the Bonapartists ended up in the United States...
And two generations later, not just an "ist," but an actual Bonaparte (first name, Charles) was Attorney General of the US, and would propose the BOI, which later became the FBI.

May 2017
France
Do you think that M de Noailles of USA was parent with the duque de Noailles,because i have in my personal archives the certification that he gave to the lieutnant colonel of dragoons Dupuy Montbrun,whose brother died in Philadelphia ….My parent the captain of dragoons de Jean de Saint Marcel was in Savannah in 1783 during the war of independance.He was in vassality with the duque de Broglie.

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
Looking more into what I wrote above, I doubt that any female Noailles (of the French second estate) married a commoner "Lee" at all. I noticed in browsing that a Marie Catherine Noailles lived in a town in New York state, along the Hudson River (I think, I'd have to look that up). Some enterprising genealogist(s) made two sisters out of her and invented that story to decorate their tree(s). But I'm only speculating.

May 2017
France
Original document:
"Nous,Philippe de Noailles,Marechal de France,Grand d Espagne,chevalier des Ordres du Roy certifions a tous ceux qu il appartiendra que M.Dupuy Montbrun est entre au service en qualite de lieutenant dans le bataillon de Rhodes au mois de fevrier 1757,ou il a servi jusqu au mois de mars 1763 (end of the war of Seven years).Qu a cette epoque ,il est passe dans les chevau-légers de la Garde ordinaire du Roy ou il a servi jusqu au 21 mai 1766.Tems ou il fut fait capitaine au regiment des recrues de Lille en Flandres et ou il servit jusqu a la reforme de ce corps faite en janvier 1767.Epoque ou il obtint son remplacement dans celui de Lyon et ce corps se trouvant reforme il passe en qualite de capitaine de dragons dans la Legion Corse le 1er septembre 1769,ou il resta jusqu au 1er mai 1777.Tems auquel il fut attache au Regiment de Noailles Dragons jusqu au 8 avril 1779 ou il obtint le Brevet de Lieutenant Colonel Commandant du bataillon de garnison de Guyenne,d ou il passa au commandement de celui de Rouergue le 23 juin 1780.Qu il a encore ,Chevalier de l Ordre Royal et Militaire de Saint Louis,le 18 septembre 1779,que tous les brevets et titres annonces ci dessus ont été envoyes par nous au Ministre de la Guerre en 1779,epoque a laquelle nous avons demande la Croix.Nous certifions de plus que Mondit Sieur Dupuy Montbrun,nous a été attache en qualite d Aide de Camp pendant tout le tems que nous avons eu l honneur de commander en Haute et Basse Guyenne,et qu il a marque dans toutes les occasions beaucoup de zele et d intelligence pour le service du Roy.En foi de quoi nous lui avons delivre le present certificat pour lui servir de valoir en tems et lieux ainsi que de raison;a Paris,ce 28 fevrier 1790.
Signe:le Marechal de Noailles-Mouchy.

Jan 2008
Very few. I've done a little reading on immigration patterns but have not heard of that one. I would think that French people wanting to live in a democracy at that time would stay in France while French people who did not want to live in a democracy would flee France to almost anywhere but the US.

People of French extraction are one of the smaller ethnic groups in the US. Among European groups the British, Irish, Germans, Italians, Poles, and Scandinavians are all much larger groups. Most Franco-Americans first settled in New Orleans several decades prior to the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, or were Huguenots fleeing Louis XIV, or were Quebecers who drifted south into Maine and New Hampshire.

Actually, though, the descendants of the Quebecers and Acadians who drifted south are quite numerous today throughout almost all of New England (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Connecticut). They began immigrating in the 1800s to take the factory and mill jobs that were available in New England. They started their own churches and schools.(both grammar-schools, and a few colleges).The New England governors and bishops were almost always of Yankee or Irish descent, but the other immigrant groups ( Polish, Italian, French-Canadian, etc.) all had their own ethnic parishes and grammar-schools until the 1970s. And in many towns with large French-Canadian populations, the mayor, too, was French-Canadian. All these immigrant ethnic groups have now merged and taken on a mainstream American identity.