French Republican (Revolutionary) Calendar

Would it be beneficial to use this Calendar today?

• Total voters
Dec 2016
Merdianville, AL
I am still waiting for the USA to go to the metric system. When I was in elementary school 45 years ago they said it was forthcoming. To me, the metric system is practical and applicable. Americans are a stubborn lot sometimes. Changing the calendar would drive us out of our minds.I don't think my brain would adjust to 10 day weeks, either, due it being so novel, unlike the metric system which has stood side by side for some time on most Americans products.
Same. I am currently in school and when you compare the metric system to ours it is so much simpler. :zany:

Apr 2017
Sioux City, IA
But, think what it was like in the 1970's when they STARTED the metric thing. From what my parents tell me, for a time you had to buy your gasoline in litres, your milk in litres, and some other things in metric only. People HATED it. Eventually, the Government gave up in the face of resistance from the public, and though they kept the metric measurements on the label, it was only secondary to the Standard System.

Of course, we do buy some stuff, like soda pop, and what-not, by the litre or two-litre. And medicine is measured in metric, and the military uses it as well. But I am with you both. I think it would be much more logical to use it myself. Along with the Calendar, of course.

Dec 2016
Merdianville, AL
But, think what it was like in the 1970's when they STARTED the metric thing. From what my parents tell me, for a time you had to buy your gasoline in litres, your milk in litres, and some other things in metric only. People HATED it. Eventually, the Government gave up in the face of resistance from the public, and though they kept the metric measurements on the label, it was only secondary to the Standard System.

Of course, we do buy some stuff, like soda pop, and what-not, by the litre or two-litre. And medicine is measured in metric, and the military uses it as well. But I am with you both. I think it would be much more logical to use it myself. Along with the Calendar, of course.
I don't know about the Calender. I know I am :deadhorse: but i feel that It would really be difficult for me to switch to that calendar. I have learned a little about it as a student but I will be honest in knowing I do not know a lot about it.

I think that the French Republican Calendar is far better than the one we use now. But it IS true that getting people to use it would be very difficult. But the benefits of it are obvious.

(1), The working year is 360 days, and each quarter is exactly 90 days. This makes accounting a lot easier.
(2), Everyone gets five or six days off at the end of the year. One could require by law that all employers be required to give employees one Decade off during the year. The results would be that everyone would get 15 or 16 days off for vacation. And one could require, in addition to the Decadi being a day of rest and half of the Quintidi, that the Primidi be given as a day of rest. that would give each employee 2.5 days off per Decade, more than the 2 days per week under the current calendar.
(3), The calendar is completely devoid of any religious association. That means that the Government is not favouring one Confession over another.
(4), The FRC is aesthetically quite pleasing. The fact that the months were named by poets results in beauty, along with the days being named after agricultural aspects of French life. Now, I do grant that this IS a rather subjective benefit. Some might suggest that it is not as aesthetically pleasing as I think it is. It is a matter of opinion, which is one of the days celebrated at the end of the year. Your Honour, I rest my case. (GRIN)
(5), The FRC, because of its arrangement, serves as a virtual farmer's almanac for the Northern Hemisphere. When a certain plant is named on the calendar, it is right around that day that the plant will be in season in the Il-de-France region, give or take a week or so. Much of the Northern Hemisphere has months similar in weather to the ones named in the FRC, and much of the Northern Hemisphere has foods that are in season more or less at the same time they are in the Il-deFrance region. It should also be noted that the Northern Hemisphere produces most (I would guess about 80%) of the food in the world, so having a calendar that functions almost as an almanac for this region is obviously beneficial.
(6), The FRC is the most accurate calendar yet devised. It is at LEAST as accurate as the Persian Calendar, since both of them rely on astronomical observation, the Persian at a spot somewhat East of Tehran, Iran, and the FRC at the Observatory in Paris. The Persian has a mathematical formulation that is also as accurate as astronomical observation. I suspect that the French Republican Calendar could also be made tabular with similar accuracy.

So there you are. My arguments for the adoption of the French Republican Calendar. Anyone want to talk?