french surrender a strategy?

Mar 2018
UK
Short answer: No

Long answer: No, and the idea that in 1940 a defeated France was thinking about how to make things easier for the British to liberate them 4 years is preposterous. There were no "Allies" at that point, just the UK. And the general feeling was that they would be defeated or negotiate out of the war pretty quickly.

May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
I think France deciding to surrender when it did was a wise choice as the capital was spared destruction by the Germans. France needs more respect for putting up a good fight and then resisting the German occupation.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Battle of France

French casualties
360.000 dead or wounded
2200 tanks destroyed
3000 planes

German casualties
150.000 dead and wounded
800 tanks destroyed
1.200 planes

Jul 2019
New Jersey
I think France deciding to surrender when it did was a wise choice as the capital was spared destruction by the Germans. France needs more respect for putting up a good fight and then resisting the German occupation.
Ehh. This retro-fitting of French history to pretend that the Vichy Regime was an illegitimate government doesn't impress me. It's just a way for the French to save face.

Lee-Sensei

Ad Honorem
Aug 2012
Ehh. This retro-fitting of French history to pretend that the Vichy Regime was an illegitimate government doesn't impress me. It's just a way for the French to save face.
Everyone does that. That’s in part why Dunkirk and Corregidor are lauded.