Futurist's European history questions

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I figured that I should create a separate thread for my own European history questions; so, here goes:

My first question is this:

Just how much did the Holocaust and mass Jewish emigration from Eastern Europe provide opportunities for economic advancement for Eastern European gentiles? In his 1922 book Letters on Polish affairs, Charles Sarolea argues that the large presence of Jews as traders, merchants, and businessmen in Polish towns prevents (as of 1922--please remember that this book was written back in 1922!) the emergence of a large Polish middle class since apparently it's harder for urban Poles to advance economically when they have to face stiff competition from urban Jews:

In turn, this made me wonder if Sarolea was actually telling the truth about this and, if so, what the effects of the Holocaust and mass Jewish emigration from Eastern Europe were in regards to this. As in, did it become significantly easier for urban Eastern European gentiles to economically advance once they no longer had to worry about Jewish competition?

Anyway, any thoughts on all of this?

Jul 2019
New Jersey
I figured that I should create a separate thread for my own European history questions; so, here goes:

My first question is this:

Just how much did the Holocaust and mass Jewish emigration from Eastern Europe provide opportunities for economic advancement for Eastern European gentiles? In his 1922 book Letters on Polish affairs, Charles Sarolea argues that the large presence of Jews as traders, merchants, and businessmen in Polish towns prevents (as of 1922--please remember that this book was written back in 1922!) the emergence of a large Polish middle class since apparently it's harder for urban Poles to advance economically when they have to face stiff competition from urban Jews:

In turn, this made me wonder if Sarolea was actually telling the truth about this and, if so, what the effects of the Holocaust and mass Jewish emigration from Eastern Europe were in regards to this. As in, did it become significantly easier for urban Eastern European gentiles to economically advance once they no longer had to worry about Jewish competition?

Anyway, any thoughts on all of this?
Poland sure got prosperous after all of its Jews were killed.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Poland sure got prosperous after all of its Jews were killed.
It actually had to endure decades of Communist rule afterwards, so that throws a bit of a wrench in this analysis. That said, though, I do wonder if Polish gentiles would have had a harder time economically advancing had Poland still (somehow) had a couple million Jews after the collapse of Communism there.

As a side note, didn't Poland's interwar government have a policy of encouraging Jewish emigration? If so, was this only done for nationalistic reasons or was there an economic component to this as well?

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
It actually had to endure decades of Communist rule afterwards, so that throws a bit of a wrench in this analysis. That said, though, I do wonder if Polish gentiles would have had a harder time economically advancing had Poland still (somehow) had a couple million Jews after the collapse of Communism there.

As a side note, didn't Poland's interwar government have a policy of encouraging Jewish emigration? If so, was this only done for nationalistic reasons or was there an economic component to this as well?
I think Abraham was being ironic - he's well up on all that sort of history (obviously)

I might just say I've been working for 40 years and I don't feel I've 'advanced'. Where would the world be if everyone spent all the time 'advancing'? :lol:

Reactions: Abraham95

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think Abraham was being ironic - he's well up on all that sort of history (obviously)

I might just say I've been working for 40 years and I don't feel I've 'advanced'. Where would the world be if everyone spent all the time 'advancing'? :lol:
FWIW, economic advancement means less competition and thus very possibly higher profits. If one is a business owner, that might actually sound pretty attractive. Even for an ordinary worker, this might sound attractive if this means a higher salary for him or her.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
... Even for an ordinary worker, this might sound attractive if this means a higher salary for him or her.
I think You have a typo there: it's not "this might sound attractive" but "this might have sounded attractive a couple of decades ago, but its sounding less nowadays" ... ;)

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think You have a typo there: it's not "this might sound attractive" but "this might have sounded attractive a couple of decades ago, but its sounding less nowadays" ... ;)
Why does it sound less attractive nowadays?

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Why does it sound less attractive nowadays?
cause more often than not, nowadays "very possibly higher profits" isn't "higher salary for him or her" but rather "more and quicker" for the same wage when not simply relocating ...

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
cause more often than not, nowadays "very possibly higher profits" isn't "higher salary for him or her" but rather "more and quicker" for the same wage when not simply relocating ...
So, you're suggesting that company bosses and owners simply hoard the extra profits for themselves?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Another European history question of mine: Do you think that there were any European figures other than Napoleon and Hitler who were capable of conquering most of the European continent? I mean, German Kaiser Wilhelm II might be the best candidate for this (along with Hindenburg and Ludendorff, his main generals in the latter stages of WWI), but was there anyone else who was ever actually capable of this, in your honest opinion?

Reactions: Kubis Gabcik