gadhimai festival: animal sacrifice

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
I came across this recently....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadhimai_festival

I'm actually surprised I hadn't heard of it before. I remember hearing of the Yulin Dog eating festival a while back. That seemed to cause some protest and outcry. In defense of the Chinese festival, at least their main purpose was to actually consume the animals. The Nepalese festival just seems like wanton destruction and cruelty. I can't imagine they were eating all of those animals, or were they?

"It is estimated that 500,000 animals were sacrificed during the Gadhimai festival of 2009."

Jan 2016
India
I don't think that consuming animals is any less "cruel" than merely sacrificing them.

Last edited:

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
I don't think that consuming animals is any less "cruel" than merely sacrificing them.
It seems less wasteful to at least eat the animal, than just killing. We all have to eat, and if yout are going to kill an animal, at least it doing for food seems for a more practical use.

However, the believers could argue that being sacrificed in honor of the gods is more noble cause than simply being consumed by ordinary humans.

Last edited:
Mar 2014
Canada
It seems less wasteful to at least eat the animal, than just killing. We all have to eat, and if yout are going to kill an animal, at least it doing for food seems for a more practical use.

However, the believers could argue that being sacrificed in honor of the gods is more noble cause than simply being consumed by ordinary humans.
Actually the animals are eaten afterwards and the remaining parts such as the hides are sold off.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India

Meat of sacrificed animals are eaten but how is this different from meat processing industry where where millions of animals are culled every year.

Nevertheless, the Spanish bull fighting seems much more cruel than his. The bull is slowly tortured to death merely for entertainment. Or the East Asian culinary practices where half alive animals are often consumed.