Galicia belonged to Portugal

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Things you did not know: Galicia belonged to Portugal for 4 years .
The idea of uniting Galicia and Portugal was always present and has had curious episodes throughout history. Did you know that Galicia was once part of Portugal?

In portuguese

Coisas que você não sabia: a Galiza pertenceu a Portugal durante 4 anos
A ideia de unir Galiza e Portugal esteve sempre presente e já teve episódios curiosos ao longo da História. Sabia que a Galiza já foi parte de Portugal?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inauguration of Portuguese freedom, the year 1139 also determined the divorce - which was never fully accepted - between Portugal and Galicia. The separation was affront to linguistic reality, to cultural unity, to historical justice itself: in the twelfth century, the delimitation between the Portucalense County and the rest of the Kingdom of Galicia - the latter integrated itself into the Castilian-Leonese crown of which Afonso Henriques decided to depart-was merely administrative and resulted from the attribution, by Alfonso VI of Leo, of Portucale to Henry of Burgundy.

Today, the border remains as artificial as in the past, with Portuguese being the dominant language throughout the western part of the Iberian Peninsula.

The separation between the two original pieces of Portugal - on the one hand, Galicia, which was the birthplace of the language and the first of the Portuguese countries; on the other, the autonomous, empowered, stronghold of the call of our freedom and expanded throughout the globe - was a motivator of countless conflicts between Portugal and its Spanish neighbor. Decades on the taking of Lisbon, in 1147, Afonso I would try to capture Tui and other Galician localities, intent that would leave after being defeated by the Leoneses in Badajoz.

In the fourteenth century, Fernando I would be - what happened on several occasions - acclaimed as king by Galicia; again, it was the strength of the Castilian arm to prevent reunification between the two Portuguese countries of the Peninsula. Also present was Galicia in the mind of D. Luís de Vasconcelos and Sousa, Count of Castelo Melhor, who intended to join it to us in exchange for peace with Habsburg Spain.

The attempt was overcome again, for, although the Portuguese arms were victorious, the Count's government was defeated in the offices by envious politicians and smaller men.

With the death of king Pedro I of Castile in 1369, triumph the high nobility in Castile, where Henry of Trastamara, its candidate, was crowned. However, despite the latter's ambitions, most of the Galician nobles did not recognize him as king and, with the support of various cities in the kingdom, demanded that Ferdinand of Portugal be their king, assuring him that the noble Galicians: "that they will give voice to them ... and they give him the villages and they receive the voice for them ... and they will give him the cities and they will recognize him as their lord and they will honor him. "

This detail of history is just one more that helps to perceive the old and recurrent tendency among some Galician social groups that defend the approximation between Galicia and Portugal.

Hypothetical Flag of Portugaliza
Fernando I of Portugal arrived in Galicia with many aristocrats who supported his legitimate cause and a good number of representatives of the Galician nobility, including the Count of Trastamara, Fernando Peres de Castro, Salvaterra Alvar Peres de Castro and Mr. Nuno Freire de Andrade (master of the Portuguese Order of Christ).

D. Fernando I made a triumphant entry into the kingdom of Galicia and was acclaimed in his various cities, which had already supported him in his aspiration to the throne of Galicia.

Fernando I decided to restore the fortresses, including those of Tui and Baiona, promoted the liberalization of trade between Galicia and Portugal and the supply of grains and wines by sea to Galicia, which was then weakened by war.

It also took measures to establish a monetary policy, whose gold and silver coins would be minted in Tui and A Coruña of gold and silver, which showed the Coat of Arms. The validity of King Fernando I's aspiration to the throne of Galicia was ratified by the Lisbon courts in 1371.

Despite all these measures the presence of the Portuguese monarch in the kingdom would be short. Henry II of Castile, with the support of mercenaries hired in Italy, launched a counter-offensive, thus gaining control of Galicia until the arrival of the Duke de Lencastre. To seal peace with the two kingdoms, the Treaty of Salvaterra was celebrated on April 2, 1383, through which the marriage between the heiress of the throne, D. Beatriz, and D. João I, king of Castile, was combined.

This union was to be the origin of one of the most difficult periods in Portuguese history: the political crisis of 1383-85 despite its misfortunes in the wars was a great king, who did not demean the dynasty to which he belonged and that ended with him, left Portugal in a position to start the great marvel of the discoveries, had repairs castles, build others and surround the cities of Lisbon and Porto with new walls.

developed agriculture, published the Sesmaria Law, seeking to increase the number of arable land and the number of agricultural workers, reformed the army, made changes at the University of Coimbra, made the alliance with England. He developed shipbuilding and trade with other countries.

Coisas que você não sabia: a Galiza pertenceu a Portugal durante 4 anos | VortexMag ««««« Link in Portuguese only.

I just told about history.

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Johnincornwall
My interest is to make known the history of Portugal nothing more.

Mar 2018
UK
Johnincornwall
My interest is to make known the history of Portugal nothing more.
It's a little disingenuous to say this when the article you posted is worded in a blatant and explicitly nationalistic way.

Still, it was interesting to learn why the border is the way it is

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
It's a little disingenuous to say this when the article you posted is worded in a blatant and explicitly nationalistic way.

Still, it was interesting to learn why the border is the way it is
---------------------

If you understand, if I give the knowledge about the history of my country and call myself a nationalist, you'd better change the page.
With all my education, my friend, have a good day.

Se voçê entende,de eu dar o conhecimento sobre a história do meu país e me chamar nacionalista,é melhor voçê mudar de pagina.
Com toda a minha educação, digo amigo ,tenha um bom dia.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
It seems Portuguese were Galicians only once, they ended up with an independent kingdom and with a new name.

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
It seems Portuguese were Galicians only once, they ended up with an independent kingdom and with a new name.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christian kingdoms in the Iberian peninsula

first - Asturias 718

second - Lion 910

third - Aragon 1035

four - chatelaine 1065

Five - Portucalense Portugal 1095

six - navarre 1162

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christian kingdoms in the Iberian peninsula

first - Asturias 718

second - Lion 910

third - Aragon 1035

four - chatelaine 1065

Five - Portucalense Portugal 1095

six - navarre 1162
Portuguese-Galician are a common language, Galicia is a historical region but Portugal originated out of the city of Porto.

Reactions: Futurist

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Today the Galician language is distant from the Portuguese language, because the Galician language has a mixture of Spanish Castilian.

Portuguese - Junta - dois - quatro - onze - carro - bom dia - céu - pilha - jantar - calças - areia -

Galician - Xunta - dous - catro - once - coche - bon día - ceo - pila - cea - pantalóns - area -

Board - two - four - eleven - car - good morning - sky - stack - dinner - pants - sand

Word Galician Pila
Word Portuguêses Pila is Penis )

As you can see there are differences between the Galician and Portuguese languages, you can also see Castilian words in the Galician language. The Portuguese language has evolved over the centuries, starting with the University of Coimbra, one of the oldest in Europe, which gave rise to the evolution of Portuguese language, but the Portuguese of the north of Portugal comprise the Galician but sometimes it is necessary to do translation from Galician to Portuguese or vice versa.

---------

In portuguêse

Como vê existe diferenças entre a lingua galêga e a portuguêsa,tambem voçê pode ver palavras castelhanas na lingua galêga.A lingua portuguêsa ao longo dos séculos evoluiu,a começar pela universidade de Coimbra uma das mais velhas da europa que deu a origem á evolução da lingua portuguêsa,sim os portuguêse do norte de Portugal comprende o galego mas ás vezes é preciso fazer tradução do galego para o português ou vice versa.